Respected Contributor

Re: Front Door Color - Any Rules?

Unless you have a homeowners association that won't allow you to paint the front door with certain colors, I would paint it with whatever color makes you happy. It is YOUR home.

Valued Contributor

Right now, I have a neutral cream color for the main part with 2 shades darker than that for trim. I chose a flower color in my yard and picked up a purple shade like eggplant, looks dark from the street, but can tell it's purple as you walk closer.  I'm not a purple person, but quite a few people have said it looks good with the house color and coordinates with the yard. 

Esteemed Contributor

In addition to the color the stucco of your home, it is my feeling the style also has to be taken into consideration.  Is it Spanish, Tudor, Craftsman, Mediterranean?  

Respected Contributor

So what is the recommended paint for a protected front door?

Do you use outdoor latex high gloss? would this require sealing?

Do you stain? would this require sealing?

Esteemed Contributor

Ours is going to be red. We have someone in our housing addition with this bright pink door. Normally that would look so tacky. But with the color of their house it looks really good and not stupid at all.

Esteemed Contributor

My front door is painted Hammered Copper

Valued Contributor

I have cream colored siding on my house.  I love the color red with cream.   I love red period.  I have a ruby red (sort of) roof, burgundy shutters, burgundy storm door paired with a fiberglass entry door in a red mahogany wood finish.fullsizeoutput_31c.jpegfullsizeoutput_31d.jpegfullsizeoutput_31e.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@giddy up:

And a car that looks like it also coordinates.   ;-)

Honored Contributor

There's a traditional colonial house near where I live, white with black shutters. They constantly change their front door color. It's pale yellow now, I've seen it red and pale blue too. How fun to do that, if you're so inclined. 

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"