Respected Contributor

Re: For us who are always "purging" or "decluttering" we are NOT alone😉

Not exactly proud of it, but I could have been the "star" of that CBS Sunday Morning segment. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

A tremendous amount of my excess stuff came into this house after emptying the homes of relatives after their deaths.   From the time I was a little girl, I was made to feel responsible for the furniture and personal items I inherited.    As an adult, I saw that what I inherited was simply someone else’s memories, not stuff I wanted.   It took awhile for me to realize I could take a picture of the item on my phone, send it to my email and save it in my genealogy files, but toss, or burn the item itself, and have one less thing in this house that is of no interest to anyone.   

Until my husband was involved in clearing his mothers house, he had never given a single thought to what happens to your parents stuff when they die.   I do not expect to leave this world without possessions my daughters will need to deal with, but it is my full intention to greatly reduce the amount they have to deal with.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My goal for the longest time has been to remain a minimalist. Living with less makes me happy. Clears the mind, gives a sense of peace and order.

Staying focused is often times a diffucult thing to do but I try really hard...most of the time.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I'd have liked to see that segment because I know people who keep way too much. Except for seasonal items, I prefer to use what I have. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've never learned the purpose of accumulating "stuff".  

When I was in college I had a neighbor who was a widowed senior. She shopped every day as her hobby. She would bring home outfits she found on clearance that she never wore. She'd buy linens, sheets, blankets etc and put them in  already stuffed closets that filled 2 bedrooms..

Then she would tell me she'd love to go on the senior day bus trip or weekend getaway with her church. But sadly she had no money.

Honored Contributor

I just finished watching the segment. If you’re interested, just go to you tube and search CBS Sunday Morning and filter for today. 

In addition to making my anxiety rise a little, it actually made me sad to see people with so much stuff. Just hurled into basements and bursting out of closets. I absolutely couldn’t live like that. I just don’t understand it. I don’t find anything remotely funny about it. 

I am by no means, or by any stretch of the imagination, a minimalist. We have stuff. Everyone does. Our house is comfortable and very organized.  But we have some cabinets and drawers that are nearly empty. We have space in drawers. We don’t need additional storage bins and things just crammed everywhere. Our basement has things in it, but really not much compared to some people. We have a two car garage and...and...we park our cars in it!

What I saw in that segment, in addition to just an over the top amount of things, is the lack of respect for their own possessions.  I found the segment very sad. 

I did like what the woman at the end said though, after she cleaned out her closet. She said she found it “freeing” to get rid of the excess. That’s exactly how I feel. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Stuff can be a burden especially others peoples stuff that had a special place in their heart.   I recently read an article about Swedish Death Cleaning.    After cleaning out homes of dead relatives I swear I will not leave that kind of mess for my kids.

Honored Contributor

Our neighbor is a Hoarder. They have cleaned out their home & garage so many times. I think last time they must have told them they were not cleaning out his garage again since the daughter parks in there now to keep the dad from filling it up with junk. 

I'm serious. His garage was full from wall to wall & floor to ceiling. That's a fire hazard. 

I had to turn him into the City when he thought it was Ok to pile his junk in his backyard & patio. When I walked out to my backyard & could see his junk over the 6' fence I said enoughs enough.

Honored Contributor

I can honestly say a year ago YES I had stuff still boxed from my move south including 4 storage containers of shoes, boots, work clothing & more🙄

BUT, then took 3 days to go thru every box, container, etc. YES I donated, tossed, etc. but somehow there was more!

I am so happy we did the re-model mainly because it forced me to take a good look at what I really used & needed.  Although, my "downfall" is home decor after the yard sale I vowed to not buy anything until the house was completely finished.

I have 2 large double walk-in closets in my master bedroom.  While I was hanging up some clothes in my spouses closet (he normally puts away his own stuff - I don't do it right🙄) yesterday I saw 4-10x10 boxes sealed.

They were marked "lenox" the reality was they were boxes of decor & dishes I emptied from my china closet, DR buffet, and other rooms, etc. 2 years ago when I had new carpeting installed🙄😮.

One of the boxes actually had my "beach" things for the bathroom I did at house I rented before I bought this one😮.  And I kept "wondering" whatever I did with some things I never could find...

This is my problem...I got so "creative" in storing things due to limited space -- I actually forgot about them!  It was like Christmas seeing those things again..but, not another "community" sale until next year so I will be donating to Habitat.  They aren't hanging around here another year!!!

Right now, although I was on a little shopping "spree" yesterday most will go back (except for key pieces) as I can re-purpose the stuff I have now that I had that find!  

I am a holiday / seasonal decorating "nut" yet right now that's the last thing on my mind!!! Those summer containers can stay right up in the attic because I got thru Valentines, St. Patrick's & Easter and survived!!! lol.   A wreath on the door is perfect!

I was laughing to myself in the $$$ store today because I went in for plates, napkins & table cloths for my ladies lunch Monday and really only bought that!.

For me, I'm loving the "empty" space & knowing where everything is BUT the hardest part is knowing my life is changing now it's just the 2 of us!  (Our last set of friends who we hung-out with moved home to their kids last month).

Esteemed Contributor

Poster mentioned stuff can be a burden. So true! One way I keep organized is unwritten rules. Wash clothes every other day and fold and put away same day. Do floors on one day of the week. Dust on another day. Bathrooms and kitchen on another day. Once a month blinds, baseboards, crown moldings, ceiling fans, wash throw rugs and blanket throws (in winter), etc., Clean sheets on Sundays (done!) Still working so I wouldn't be organized without my rules. If both cars can't fit into the garage, then my husband knows we have a problem. And if drawers or anything is full -- the organization gods are trying to tell us something -- get rid of something old before adding something new. Same way with shoes, handbags, coats.... Before my self-imposed rules were in place, husband went nutz with his 'collecting' frenzy and sloppy ways. I couldn't keep up with household organization and was frustrated most of the time. Trying to teach my ADHD, delightful, outgoing, fun daughter simple rules - such as, when you get out of the car, take your trash with you. My organized, busy teacher daughter figured it out at a younger age than I did and her family complies so they'll have more time for fun. Life is even more frustrating when disorganized. Okay, got carried away there.... mea culpa.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau