Honored Contributor

My girl friend and I were fabric shopping today.  She is covering the cushions on her island stools.  We found some really nice fabric and she purchased that fabric, but while looking she found something that she wants to use as a valance in the kitchen/dining area.

The fabric is upholstery fabric, heavy but not the heaviest I have seen.  If she makes a valance, is it safe to spritz the fabric with water and throw in the dyrer to possibly soften up the fabric...or would that even work? The fabric is a bit stiff, she would just like to soften it up a bit.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    Upholstery fabric is not made to be used with water.  There's a good chance it would be okay if lightly spritzed but there's also a chance it may shrink or worse.   I'm sure your friend knows she'd be taking a chance.  It may be stiffened with sizing and turn into a limp dishrag. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

There's no way to know without seeing the fabric content.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I wouldn't chance it. Tell your friend to go back and buy a small cut, take it home and try it. I doubt her plan would work out well tho.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

She can try a small piece to see what happens..DW

Trusted Contributor

@Love my grandkids  We posted at the same time...lol...DW

Honored Contributor

Thanks!  She was not going to saturate the fabric, just spritz with water.

Esteemed Contributor

Your friend would be happier with a valance box (plywood, cover with layer of fiber - like inside of quilt ) then cover with fabric, stapling on back.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs - I can't see where spritzing the fabric will soften it up. Home Dec fabrics are made to be stiffer to hold up and retain their shape whether its for drapes or upholstery or pillows.

Tell her to use a sizeable scrap and spritz it. Then give it a gentle tug to see if it stretches either way. If it does, do not spritz because the fabric could become distorted.

Honored Contributor

What kind of valance would this be?   When I was making these years ago, decorator fabrics were used, and they were the ruffled types of valances.  

For this use, an upholstery fabric wouldn't work.