Honored Contributor

Re: Flameless Candles And Sand

Thank you @spiderw .  I'll leave the books since you and @GingerPeach  both like them.  I like books, too.  I'll also add more stones.  I found something on Amazon that I might order for fall with fall colored glass gems and leaves.

7083F2E2-74BB-4E38-8DCD-2FFFCAB6C554.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

I am loving your style.

Those leaf shapes and stones you found on amazon have caught my eye now, too. I may "need" them!

BTW, if you like leaves as much as I do, I found this set of pewter magnetic leaves in the Uno Alla Volta catalog/website that I'm considering:

$30 for a set of 3

Pewter Leaf Magnets Set Of 3

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack  You have a beautiful home. I really like the things you found on Amazon will look pretty for fall. There’s so many things you can put with the candle. I have these little pumpkins that I got from Pier1. But I’m really thinking about the things from Amazon. Just what I need Lol E7E43671-BE1B-428E-B1E2-BF860F2CDFA6.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@NickNack -

I know this may seem strange as I like river rocks, but I like this hurricane best by itself with no books. It looks elegant enough to just let it stand on its own. And somehow doesn't seem to fit with the more casual sea look of stones or sand.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Leggett28 .  I love your little pumpkins!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@NickNack -

I know this may seem strange as I like river rocks, but I like this hurricane best by itself with no books. It looks elegant enough to just let it stand on its own. And somehow doesn't seem to fit with the more casual sea look of stones or sand.

@on the bay   I liked it better than I thought I would without anything.  I also like it without books.  I've had books on my coffee table and around my house for years.  It would be hard to get rid of the books on my coffee table.  I'm going to have to play around with this for a while.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Another one that likes the various options, but perhaps the naked hurricane best, in this case!  There's something about those clean, simple lines, that I don't really like to see interrupted-- it's a very handsome hurricane you chose.

I often put lanterns or pottery on top of books, so that's a favorite look.  Call me kooky, but because of your sophisticated neutrals, in the flowy bowl (thanks for that descriptor, @GingerPeach !) ,  the wood under the hurricanes, and your other nearby design elements, I'd use books that were also neutral. 

If you're playing around anyway, and you have any taupe, black, khaki or ivory colored books, it might be fun to see how they look.  The bright multicolors of book jackets can be distracting-- but if you take off the jackets, the books themselves are often neutral...  Because the hurricane is such a good size, I'd use no more than two books, maybe...

Told you I was kooky....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you @Oznell .  I understand what you're saying about using neutral books.  I might take the jackets off the books and see what it looks like.  The books have meaning to me though.  The top one is called "Cats In The Sun" and is beautiful photographs of cats.  The second book is about French Bulldogs, and I have one.  The third one is about glass, which I love.  For that reason I like these particular books.

Maybe it would look better if I put the book about glass on top.  (Excuse my dog Ava's ears!). The reason the table in front of the window is so bare is because Henry, my cat, sits on it and looks out the window all the time.

738E2725-3C15-4C47-9030-EB06704E5A16.jpeg

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

NickNack

I love the gold leaves and stone idea!  It is always fun to decorate yourself and find that you can be a decorater also with just some motivation and using decor you like.  It is all about taste and what makes you happy.  I'm sure whatever you choose to do will work and look great!!

Regular Contributor

Dollar Stores have a variety of clear and colored glass for your candles and containers . I think that they will be better than sand , that is my opinion.