Esteemed Contributor

Well, the small holly bushes I planted that were supposed to be "deer resistant" were mostly nibbled to death over the winter.  

In addition, the same bushes planted a few years back in another location fell prey to disease and voles.  

These spaces have been planted and replanted with a variety of bushes that have all succumbed to deer, disease, insects and, mostly, bad clay soil.  

I've decided to give up and look for some fake bushes.  QVC has some boxwoods by English Gardens, but I'm still shopping around.  Nearly Natural and Silk Warehouse have the most promising bushes so far.

I know, I know....FAKE BUSHES?!!  But, faced with yet another replanting, I'm pretty discouraged.  We live in the woods, so not ideal growing conditions.

My husband is oblivious to most of this and just keeps remulching the areas Cat LOL  

Has anyone ever done this?

Esteemed Contributor

I have and have two neighbors who do this. We live next to woods and have a herd of deer and other wildlife that regard our gardens as their "buffet". I don't care what the label states when it comes to a nursing doe they eat everything including tomato stalks.

I did "plant" some fake evergreen trees in the planters by the mailbox and lamp post. Nothing wants to grow there no matter how hard I try. The deer will avoid the mailbox planter but not the lamp post. I did have them attempting to eat the fake evergreen in that planter. Since then....I have not attempted to try again. 

I think that if you planted the faux greenery and it was next to your home, on a porch or fenced in area that you would be fine. The neighbors items look very nice. Still thinking about one more try for us.

Esteemed Contributor

Ever done this?    Oh yes - works great.  I just bought 2 of Martha's boxwoods for the front garden and they are 'perfect'.  Years ago I 'planted' (in the pot) a 6 ft fake yew where no sun shines.  Lasted for years until it got brittle from sub-zero temps.  Fooled even the dear - one night a deer at front door was trying to eat it - finally spit the plastic out and I found a small pile on the snow the next morning.  LOL  I can't plant real bushes any more due to weed barrier sheets and small stones - - which I don't want to disturb.  I say ........go fake!

Respected Contributor

Condo owner here, but it makes good sense to me!

Esteemed Contributor

I've been thinking about it.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt 

Did you buy your Martha S. boxwoods at QVC?  

I saw some Valerie boxwoods, but nothing by Martha.

If QVC offered reduced shipping on multiples, I would consider purchasing.

Nearly Natural has free shipping on their plants at comparable prices.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa 

Well, there is no guarantee that the deer won't try out the fakes, but....if they destroy those, I AM giving up!

Esteemed Contributor

I was just reading a Martha S. gardening blog where her "grounds crew" transplanted 300 boxwoods to create a new border.

300?  Yikes, that is a lot of boxwoods.  They were growing on her farm, for 3 years.  

That's what missing here.  I need a grounds crew! Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman Yes bought from Q - I wanted 2 of the large ones; but they were selling quickly.  I went back week or so later to check and they were in stock again (perhaps cancellation)....but I was happy to get the second one.  Martha's are first class - thick - very dense - very green and well formed.  Haven't looked at V's.   Keep checking for Martha's.

Respected Contributor

I love the artificial boxwoods, wish the big hedges weren’t so expensive, I’ve seen them used in commercial applications in Vegas for example. Very pretty.