Honored Contributor

Re: Fabulous idea - paint samples!!!

@Harvard99 ...No! I did not take it that way....I took no issue with what you said... 

Trusted Contributor

Sounds good.

Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 wrote:

@haddon9  @Mom2Dogs  Each major paint company makes all different grades of paint.  You can't compare, for example, the best grade of Sherwin Williams to the cheapest grade of Benjamin Moore.

Most people don't realize this.

Many professional painters use the lesser grades but use the sales pitch on their customers,  'I ownly use Benjamin Moore.'

@Harvard99   Very true and as I mentioned we tend to use the medium grades.  I found that the Sherwin Williams medium grade paint just wasn't as good as the similar paint that Benjamin Moore offers.

I just couldn't get over the fact that we needed to use 3 coats of ivory over light blue!  You could see right through it!....it ended up costing more because of the extra paint.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Harvard99 wrote:

@haddon9  @Mom2Dogs  Each major paint company makes all different grades of paint.  You can't compare, for example, the best grade of Sherwin Williams to the cheapest grade of Benjamin Moore.

Most people don't realize this.

Many professional painters use the lesser grades but use the sales pitch on their customers,  'I ownly use Benjamin Moore.'

@Harvard99   Very true and as I mentioned we tend to use the medium grades.  I found that the Sherwin Williams medium grade paint just wasn't as good as the similar paint that Benjamin Moore offers.

I just couldn't get over the fact that we needed to use 3 coats of ivory over light blue!  You could see right through it!....it ended up costing more because of the extra paint.

@haddon9   I've also had much better luck with B Moore for interior paint. Also, I've had two painting contractors tell me they prefer SW for exterior only.

Yes, three coats of ivory over light blue is a total waste of labor and paint.  Reminds me of us painting two walls red over a  pale cream color (if you remember when red accent walls were in).  It didn't cover after 5 coats!  It was translucent if you can imagine at all what I mean. Like a stain and you could see through it.  Weird.

It was Behr's paint from Home Depot and it was their best interior paint at that time.  We went to B Moore and one coat of theirs covered everything.

Respected Contributor

@Somertime wrote:

Samplize dot com.  They make a peel and stick 12x12 paint sample in the color of your choice if you use Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams or Farrow & Ball.  Pick your color and they ship it to you.  It's $ 6.00.  No messy paints!  It's a fabulous idea.  I, just, ordered a sample for Sherwin Williams "Mink".  How easy can this be!  Website has a video as well.   Wonderful if you are unsure of what color you want to paint your walls! Easy peasy!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Somertime   Thank you so much!  I just checked out their site and if you subscribe, you immediately get a discount code for a $5.00 credit.  I have been wanting to see Beau Green in the Benjamin Moore line, but just haven't gotten to one of their stores.  I ordered a sample and with the credit it cost only 95 cents. 

Thank you again for sharing this site with us!

Trusted Contributor

@Somertime   I ordered two of those samples last year, when we were painting our sunroom.  SO much better than the small paint chips from the store.  And much more accurate.  

I was able to see how the changing light affected the colors on these large samples, and made my selection....it was not the color I would have picked if I had not had the samples.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Trusted Contributor

@haddon9   We used Sherwin Williams paint for many years, because it was one of the first brands that had zero VOC paint, in a huge color selection.  

But, over the past couple of years, the quality has really gone downhill, while the cost of the zero VOC paint has skyrocketed....even when they run 30% off.   We bought an eggshell paint to paint our spare bedroom and it's very blotchy.  There are flat spots and shiny spots, and the paint was thoroughly mixed.  No more Sherwin Williams.  We're sticking with Benjamin Moore and have been very pleased.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@coffeegal wrote:

@Somertime wrote:

Samplize dot com.  They make a peel and stick 12x12 paint sample in the color of your choice if you use Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams or Farrow & Ball.  Pick your color and they ship it to you.  It's $ 6.00.  No messy paints!  It's a fabulous idea.  I, just, ordered a sample for Sherwin Williams "Mink".  How easy can this be!  Website has a video as well.  Easy peasy!!!!!!!!!!!!

After I read your post, I started lookimg at my walls.. I would think that you would need a lot of these.. I love the idea, but I think it would be very costly. do you?

This was my first thought too. I like the simplicity of it, but if you want to compare four or five different colors, it would add up kind of fast. 

But what does the sample actual paint things cost? I have no idea, maybe even more?

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Great idea!

Speaking of paint we usually buy a medium grade...not the cheapest or most expensive...something in the middle.

We just finished painting my son's old bedroom.  I went with a neutral ivory (over what was a pale light blue and one accent royal blue wall).  In the past I've used Ben Moore and loved the quality of their paints.  I don't know why I went with Sherwin Williams this time but I was not impressed with the quality of the paint....poor coverage!  It look three coats of ivory to go over pale light blue!

Next time I plan on using Benjamin Moore again!

I used to swear by Sherwin Williams, we began using them back in the early 80's and the house we are in now, has rooms that haven't been painted in 25 years, and still going strong, but need to be updated. I bought some for painting my new interior doors, and it was just horrible. 

I think their quality has slipped over the decades, and maybe because we always used oil based enamel and this was a latex? I had always heard back in the day, that an oil based enamel was a better, longer lasting paint. 

I think the landscape of paints has changed in the last several decades for sure, and I need to catch up, as I have quite a bit of painting to do, and I really hate doing it, and don't want to be disappointed with the results, like I am with the interior doors.

Honored Contributor

I believe you can get those peel and stick paint samples at Home Depot and some hardware stores. There's paint store near me that sells them.