Contributor

Help me with decor in small city apartment please

Hello 😁 first off, please be kind if you don’t like my style of decor, I know I’m a bit eclectic 😁 I need some help getting this combo kitchen/living/dining space finished off. I have no end tables, but probably don’t want coffee table since we like to sit on the floor a bit. What can I do with the spaces either side of the fireplace? Add lamps, artwork? I’m renting the apartment so can’t change window treatments (just blinds) and could change wall color (perhaps an accent color over fireplace?) if I’m willing to do myself and restore it when I move. The kitchen is very dark woods and granite, not much I can do there. Excuse the clutter on the counter, we all live in the real world 😁 And yes, there are several items from QVC already in here 😁

2C60731C-89B0-4AD8-A744-140B12218D3A.jpeg0D400568-CEE9-48AA-8C0F-9F494279C9F0.jpeg91643A00-DEBA-48B2-A853-91048185ADDD.jpeg9D450027-6B7C-4E05-85C9-9D417A032D55.jpeg84833A75-31A0-4A50-B990-A84A54B2EE4C.jpeg

QVC Customer Care

Re: Help me with decor in small city apartment please

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind to another poster

Frequent Contributor

Beautiful apartment, but it looks like you need more lighting. I would think you need some kind of a table next to the sofa with some light on it. I would move the two chairs in closer to the sofa. Maybe put some bookcases in those alcoves? You could put lamps or lanterns on top of those.

New Contributor

I think you are off to a great start--love your colors and style!  I wonder if you changed around your artwork--placed the one above the fireplace above your sofa table and vice-versa.  Then the alcoves on either side of your fireplace look like wonderful spaces for bookcases.  Perhaps in a dark color that goes with your kitchen cabinets.  Love all your windows, perhaps a real or silk potted plant.  Valerie Parr Hill has a fiddle leaf tree that is quite popular, if 5' tall would be the right scale for your space.  I'll be quite interested to see what other people think, so hope you get a good number of replies.  Looks like a great place to call home!

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains an external retail link

Trusted Contributor

@Phelina   Your apartment is stunning!  I love the city view!  All that needs to be in the picture is YOU.  Enjoy!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Phelina  .. really nice apartment!  

Esteemed Contributor

WOW..GOSH.....so much floor space = Big

How much is the rent?     LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Phelina , you are off to a great start.  Here are a couple of ideas.

1.  Agree that chairs by the fireplace should be pulled in closer to the sofa.  I would also pull in the bench a bit so you can access the window behind it.  Makes for easier and cosier conversations.

2.  Bookcases that hold a combo of books, clock, metal art, etc behind the chairs is also a good idea or console tables.

3.  Move the large art over the fireplace or buy a new large piece for over the fireplace.

4.  You need a long coffee table in front of the sofa.  You also need a luxurious throw for the sofa.

5.  The columns are lovely.  I would do something to highlight them.  A tall piece of metal art, a Japanese triple screen around the column, a floating shelf that wraps around with decor on it.

6.  In the space opposite the dining table, I would put a chaise or a comfy reading chair, side table and floor lamp.  

Come back and show us what you have done.  I would take my time and find the perfect pieces.  It is a lovely space!  Good luck.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Phelina 

This post is an edit.

Forgot about the possiblity there might not be electrical outlets in your floors for lamps next to the sofa that you placed in the middle of the livingroom area.

If that's the case, I'd suggest you move the sofa by the window, place the two chairs opposite, all perpendicular to the fireplace, the area rug in the middle.  

Didn't see a TV set.  In the alcove to the right of the fireplace, depending on how wide it is, a console table or chest would serve as a stand for one.  But, from the size of the chair, doesn't look like a 32" would fit.  Some people put TV sets over the fireplace, but I never liked that idea; although, there are beautiful wooden enclosures with doors that would work.  Again, depends on your budget.  

Original Post

What I suggest might not be in your budget, now, but some things to think about in the future.

I think the sofa needs a sofa table in back of it topped with something tall.  Lamps, or decorative pieces.  The sofa needs lighting, if no lamps on sofa table, then floor lamps or an end table with a lamp.  

I think about a floor screen (room divider) to divide the living area from the dining area. Instead of a sofa table, I have seen them placed behind sofas, too, with end tables and lamps on either side of the sofa.

I'd pull the chairs closer to the sofa and put book shelves in spaces next to the fireplace.  The chairs also need lighting, a floor lamp or end table with lamps.

You say you don't want a coffee table.  It would help to bring your sitting area together, look nice, and a place to put your drinks and snacks.  

The kitchen needs some colorful area rugs to brighten it up.  Maybe, some colorful appliances on the counters, too.  It's difficult to see what kind of backsplash is in the kitchen.  Is it  painted wall or something else?  Can you hang something washable on it, or lean some sort of large colorful tiles up against the back splash to break up the darkness.  

I think an area rug would look nice under the dining table and chairs.  

It's a very nice space...a lot you could do to make it your own.