Honored Contributor

FAMILIAR WITH GREEFF FABRICS?

I'm helping a neighbor get rid of things from her parent's home.   

She came across a piece of fabric by Greeff called Summer Meadow, 48" by 96", perfect condition, but it may date back to the 1970s.  It's old fabric, but gorgeous.

Very nice, but not her taste.

I looked on Ebay and saw many pieces that sold for good prices.  They weren't particularly large, and appeared to be the sizes for making a chair cover or throw pillow.

I did some searches and couldn't find anything to indicate the company is still in business, or if it had been bought.

If you're familiar with Greeff fabrics, any suggestions for what to do with it or sources for more information? 

TIA ! 

Honored Contributor

Re: FAMILIAR WITH GREEFF FABRICS?

[ Edited ]

Check Etsy. I saw a section there.

I did a google search and found this:

Greeff Fabrics is a business located at 4 E. 53rd St. in New York City. Schumacher Fabrics acquired Greeff Fabrics and now has the rights to their patterns.

Trusted Contributor

Weren't they associated with Schumacher?  I vaguely remember the name but Schumacher always carried the most gorgeous and expensive upholstery fabrics.  New York's equivalent to Liberty of London I'd say.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

GREEFF "water garden" pattern:

Pin page

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily.  Are you familiar  with this name?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

GREEFF "water garden" pattern:

Pin page

That would make a pretty skirt.

Honored Contributor

@Bookplate wrote:

Weren't they associated with Schumacher?  I vaguely remember the name but Schumacher always carried the most gorgeous and expensive upholstery fabrics.  New York's equivalent to Liberty of London I'd say.

@Bookplate 

Before this, I'd never heard of either of them!   Thanks! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 Greeff was founded in 1933 and was acquired by F. Schumacher in 1996.  Greeff manufactured fabrics as well as wallpper, very high end.

F. Schumacher is in New York and they were in the D&D Building 979 Third Ave. phone number:  212-415-3900, email:  tristate@schumacher.com.  They are available to the Trade Only.

I am not sure what information you are seeking but I would email an inquiry with an attached photo and outline what information you are seeking.

I am sure someone will respond because New York is where their archives are kept.  I no longer have a current contact to refer you to since I am no longer in New York.

I don't know the demensions of the fabric, so it's hard to make suggestions but I have framed some antique fabrics.

I, just, realized you gave the measurements.  You could use it as a table runner, place mats or a table topper over a round table floor length tablecloth.  It could be made into a Roman Shade or widow valances.  It can be made into lamp shades as well.

Respected Contributor

I agree with @Somertime  & that info.

8' long (96") is likely too long to frame. If the goal was to keep the fabric in pristine shape, perhaps it could be used at the end of the bed as a decorative topper.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 

If she has an affection for it because it was her parents, perhaps she could make some pillows or cover a chair with the piece. 

If not, maybe try to sell it on ebay.  There is a buyer for almost everything!

My dining room has a Greeff wallpaper pattern similar to this above the chair rail.  It may look overwhelming, but the room is large and, after 30 years, I still adore it.  It was very pricey at the time

2639312 Jacobean Printed Crewel Burnish Sage By Schumacher, 47% OFF