Trusted Contributor

Anyone want to share  outside paint color combos,traditional or wild and crazy ideas?? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Exterior Colors

[ Edited ]

I've seen a cottage on the shore of Lake Michigan in which every plank of siding was painted a different color. Must have been twenty different colors.

Esteemed Contributor

I am not a wild and crazy kind of gal when it comes to the color of my home.......it isn't that simple of a task to change, like a room.

We are blessed to own two homes.  We recently put a red barrel tile roof on our home here in the south.  We then painted it white with a black front door and garage door.  Our northern home is cedar siding that is a muted green stain.  It tends to change depending on the sunlight.  It is in a woods and blends in with the surroundings during the summer.  It has a bright red door.

I am not sure if that is what you were asking.....@spud188.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

HOA says white or sand, ONLY

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Funny you should ask.   I  passed by a home painted bright turquoise yesterday and thought ....WHY?.  Houses are too expensive to do that to them.  There was nothing A

attractive about it. 

I have a traditional brick Tudor 

Honored Contributor

Re: Exterior Colors

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

HOA says white or sand, ONLY

===

Well that's too boring @Desertdi  but I suppose it reflects the heat. When it comes to ranch houses, I like to see some color. Two story white houses are okay if they have colored shutters. You can't go wrong with brick exteriors in my opinion. I recently drove by a house with a medium sage green siding and the garage door and window trim was a tan color. I thought it looked very nice.

Esteemed Contributor

My house is a Cape Cod style:  white siding, blue-gray shutters, black stormdoors front and back, with an Atlantic blue roof.  

It has blue solar panels on one side of the roof if that matters.

Also, a neighbor at the begining of the street copied my colorsWoman Frustrated, actually coming over to see colors up close and name and brand of shingles, even copying shutters.  Tried to sway them suggesting a green roof/shutters on their white house, but they went with the blues.  Life is short - no big deal and we're both happy and get along well - that's what really counts I think. 

Honored Contributor

@spud188 

I like this combination.

Create a welcoming entrance to your home with Pittsburgh Paints & Stains® Grand Distinction® Exterior Flat Paint and Primer in One. It provides ultimate coverage and durability to reduce the number of coats you need.

Esteemed Contributor

Love the photo of the red door! Every home I lived in I painted the door red. We've been in this patio home for 3 years. Just painted the door red.

My favorite house color was a beautiful cream with bluish / green sage trim, if that makes sense. We lived in a lake community and there was stone accents in front of the house. Fresh, clean and I just liked it. Moved into our patio home and it's brown brick in front with dark chocolate garage and trim. It's too blah for me but our patio home is connected to one other home and they love their brown. The back of the house is not my favorite color. A terracotta something that matches some of the brick ensemble. We added a hardscape courtyard and interesting landscaping which helps me forget about the color of our home.       

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@spud188 

I like this combination.

Create a welcoming entrance to your home with Pittsburgh Paints & Stains® Grand Distinction® Exterior Flat Paint and Primer in One. It provides ultimate coverage and durability to reduce the number of coats you need.

Lost at sea - that's the color of my shutters, @lolakimono !  Like tht pizza red door, but got an insulated fibreglass wood door so it's a very dark brown but had red with green flowers in the glass up top!