Honored Contributor

I don't like the idea of shoes right in your face at the front door.  Back door/side door...fine.  (Not a fan of coat trees or whatever they are...loaded to the gills and ready to topple over.)

I think that an entryway should always look neat because it's a first impression.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@ECBG    I know. 

@Kachina624 

If I had known you, I would given you the oak table my great grandfather made.  He was the master carpenter of Biltmore House.

I wasn't "in love" and knew someone would be.  I passed on it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG Regarding your Biltmore House reference - what artistic skills your dad had/has! My dad worked at the Biltmore Dairy, from mid to late 1940s, after his time in WW2. He met my mom in Asheville and they married & moved to Midwest for airline machinist training. We've talked about this NC connection before. Biltmore reference brought back memories.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I really like the idea of the one with the bench.  That bench is darn cute!  The console in the first  picture is something I really like, too.  I think, however,  the 2nd picture would better fit my lifestyle.

Honored Contributor

Re: Entryway Ideas

[ Edited ]

@jeanlake wrote:

@ECBG Regarding your Biltmore House reference - what artistic skills your dad had/has! My dad worked at the Biltmore Dairy, from mid to late 1940s, after his time in WW2. He met my mom in Asheville and they married & moved to Midwest for airline machinist training. We've talked about this NC connection before. Biltmore reference brought back memories.    

@jeanlake 

My great grandfather.  The house opened Christmas Eve of 1895.

My GGF made beautiful Mission (Art and Craft) furniture out of solid oak.  It was the style after Victorian which was very ornate, so naturally, the next style would be the polar opposite.

As it happens, I never liked Mission furniture, although my art teacher friends did.

My style is Primatives.  You can see part of the house on "Here's My Country Christmas" by myself.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG  Agree, never a big Mission style, nor oak, fan. Like bits and pieces, but not a style I'll ever embrace. Likewise. not such a big fan of Craftsman style architecture, though, clearly, some of the bungalows are quite nice.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@ECBG  Agree, never a big Mission style, nor oak, fan. Like bits and pieces, but not a style I'll ever embrace. Likewise. not such a big fan of Craftsman style architecture, though, clearly, some of the bungalows are quite nice.

@stevieb 

I agree, some of the bungalows are nice, but there is always an area I am miserable with.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Entryway Ideas

[ Edited ]

I like the chest and the bench individually, but the spaces are too bland for me. Both pieces look like they could fit in my narrow entryway or back door sunroom area. Right now we don't have any furnishings in our entryway or back door area. Both spots are small & narrow. DH kept running into the table and plant I had there in the entryway in the past so I removed the items.