Respected Contributor

End table with USB ports

[ Edited ]

I have been looking for a nice looking, sleek but not industrial looking, end table. I found a 3-tier one with an electrical plug and 2 USB ports built in. Got it put together in minutes (my son) and just love it. Very well made and sturdy. The outlet is on the side and not noticeable at all, and now that snake pit of cords plugged into a bulky surge protector is gone. I wasn't sure about the concept; I didn't want my living room to look like a gamer's room or with noticeable electronic cords sticking out from the furniture. This is a great solution. I may be "late to the party" but maybe this will give some of you a good solution too.

Respected Contributor

Re: End table with USB ports

Sounds good to have outlets and ports in a table.  Where did you buy it? Online or a store? 

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I have been looking for a nice looking, sleek but not industrial looking, end table. I found a 3-tier one with an electrical plug and 2 USB ports built in. Got it put together in minutes (my son) and just love it. Very well made and sturdy. The outlet is on the side and not noticeable at all, and now that snake pit of cords plugged into a bulky surge protector is gone. I wasn't sure about the concept; I didn't want my living room to look like a gamer's room or with noticeable electronic cords sticking out from the furniture. This is a great solution. I may be "late to the party" but maybe this will give some of you a good solution too.

I've seen small side tables. night stands and such with an outlet and USB port in a slim drawer.   Very handy.

Respected Contributor

@PinkyPetunia wrote:

Sounds good to have outlets and ports in a table.  Where did you buy it? Online or a store? 

@PinkyPetunia Fred Meyer, and it was $13 less than on Amazon. Some of these type of tables look pretty bad, but there are nice looking ones too.

Honored Contributor

This is kind of a new concept to me. I was aware it was happening, just haven't actually seen furniture made this way.

So is there some kind of surge protector built in? If not it would worry me. 

I don't see this fitting my lifestyle right now. I can't stand cords or electronic items showing in the main rooms of my house. I tend to charge what few things we have somewhere discreet, like the bedroom. We both do most of our phone charging in the car, truth be told. We basically just have phones (2 in the whole house), and one PC that has it's own desk. No other things here to be charged.

Esteemed Contributor

The nightstand I want for my bedroom has the thin top drawer with USB ports. I think it is a really cool idea.

Esteemed Contributor

IMG_2898.JPG

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio Yes, surge protection is built in, and the ports are well hidden in the better made pieces. That is why this end table appealed to me...you get the convenience of the port without seeing a nest of cords or a large surge protector. I have my lamp plugged in and it's great for accent lamps with short cords.

It's nice during the day to have the charging area close by. I don't want to run to the bedroom to answer a charging phone if I am in the living room. You can find many furniture styles with this feature. 

Honored Contributor

IKEA furniture has this feature.

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

Mine only have the electrical plug ins on them, but I love the idea of USB ports. I got mine from Ashley Furniture.