Super Contributor

Dryer sheets or liquid softener

Do you ladies use liquid fabric softener or dryer sheets? I always use dryer sheets and the results are fine. I hang some of my clothing up to air dry like jeans and shirts and find they can get quite stiff. Would using liquid softener in the "air-dry" loads of laundry help this or not make much difference. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Honored Contributor

Re: Dryer sheets or liquid softener

I haven't used either in years. In the past it was just dryer sheets. Nowadays it's not good for many new fibers like 'microfiber' or polar fleece. I just save money and save the items we use from being worn out before their time. The sheets and liquid both contribute to fibers of certain materials to get clogged and hence, don't work as well as they should. Smile

Honored Contributor

I used to use liquid and now I use dryer sheets. I don't think liquid fabric softener would help with the stiffness. Why don't you just dry them on low, or dry them partially and hang them up for the rest of the time?

Like Susan Louise, I don't use them for everything--never for towels.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I do use fabric softener in the rinse cycle for things that I plan on air drying. I think it helps to soften these items. I put jeans and such in the dryer for a few minutes and then hang them to dry on a drying rack. They aren't so stiff that way. I also use softener sheets occasionally for some items.

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't used liquid in years. I love Purex crystals for most things, but do use dryer sheets for my delicates and things other than towels.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I use dryer sheets unless the washing instructions indicate that you shouldn't
Respected Contributor

Neither. I don't like the residue they leave on clothes. After air drying, I toss them in the dryer for 5 minutes or so and that softens them.
Valued Contributor

Don't use either. I just use dryer balls, have about four in the dryer now.

Honored Contributor

Neither, I don't use softener

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Occasional Contributor

I grew up with dryer sheets but switched to liquid years ago and it does soften air dryed clothes. A couple of years ago though I did switch to vinegar in the rinse and dryer balls. My clothes smell clean (no vinegar odor) and towels aren't musty. Most notably though is that after about 3 washes my clothes, sheets, and towels were so soft and fluffy (and towels became super absorbent) with all of the softener residue washed out.