Honored Contributor

Shutters are easy to dust - I just close them and run the dusting attachment on my vacuum over them - flip them the other way and do the same to the other side. Very easy. The shutters that are stylish now have wide slats so there aren't as many to clean as there used to be.

Honored Contributor

We have those awful vertical blinds over the sliding glass door in our camper and I really do dislike them. They just never look nice do they? DH doesn't want to spend money on a different treatment for those doors so I am biding my time and when they get dirty I will pounce and insist they have to be replaced. They are white so it won't be long.

Respected Contributor

Hope you enjoy all your new curtains and drapes - fun to get all those new things.

One of the things I miss about living in the North is curtains and draperies.  The Florida sun would eat thru them in a year.  We have either plantation shutters or vertical blinds and a valance.

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@stevieb

Like you, I like many different types and styles of window treatments with the exception of vertical blinds! There's always that ONE rebel slat that wants to do its own thing and turn in a different direction (or not at all). I'll still have these in a couple of rooms, until funds permit their replacement, but at least the rooms we use the most will be rid of them!

if you are going to do vertical blinds then these are the kind to have......and no problems with the "rebel slats" or the slats breaking. the few vertical blinds we have in our home are these style.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

For me, different rooms require different types of window treatments.

I cannot imagine bedrooms without blinds. We have what I guess, is called roller shades in the bedrooms, that are darkening. Can be rolled up to get sun, but down for the daytime sleepers. These are covered by lace curtains and valances.

Normally a main floor would require a more formal drape with maybe sheers, but our house only has a sliding door and a very large picture window on the main level, so there is a lace curtain on both right now, but I'd like to do something different.

I love plantation shutters, and had wooden ones in one room in a former home. Loved the look, but cleaning them was quite a chore. Better than washing and ironing curtains, but still intricate work. 

I detest vertical blinds. They look so outdated to me, and as someone else noted, always at least one rogue slat doing it's own thing.

Honored Contributor

My new home is a cottage on a lake. So having drapes really doesn't fit my light and airy look. I have Hunter Douglas silhouette blinds throughout. They are gorgeous.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I do both on some windows. I like the warmth a drape gives a room expecially on a large sliding door then I can always use the blinds to keep out the heat during the summer and the cold during the winter. It took me a little find exactly what I was looking for and it is an investment. Have had my lastest window treatments for 3 years and still love them.

Respected Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

Hope you enjoy all your new curtains and drapes - fun to get all those new things.

One of the things I miss about living in the North is curtains and draperies.  The Florida sun would eat thru them in a year.  We have either plantation shutters or vertical blinds and a valance.

@gmkb

We live in Texas and these drapes were bought for west-facing windows. They are "blackout" curtains, which we thought would be good for energy efficiency, especially in the summer months. I hadn't thought of the possibility of the sun "eating through them" and I'm hoping that blackout curtains are more durable in this regard. After all, they're made for this purpose, right?

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Texasmouse wrote:

@stevieb

Like you, I like many different types and styles of window treatments with the exception of vertical blinds! There's always that ONE rebel slat that wants to do its own thing and turn in a different direction (or not at all). I'll still have these in a couple of rooms, until funds permit their replacement, but at least the rooms we use the most will be rid of them!

if you are going to do vertical blinds then these are the kind to have......and no problems with the "rebel slats" or the slats breaking. the few vertical blinds we have in our home are these style.....

@sunshine45

Those are pretty! They look like pinch-pleated drapes from a distance. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

@gmkb

We live in Texas and these drapes were bought for west-facing windows. They are "blackout" curtains, which we thought would be good for energy efficiency, especially in the summer months. I hadn't thought of the possibility of the sun "eating through them" and I'm hoping that blackout curtains are more durable in this regard. After all, they're made for this purpose, right?

Texasmouse,  I would not worry for a second.  You picked something you like and I would say enjoy your new purchase.