Respected Contributor

Our house is 19 years old and still has the standard vertical blinds that were installed when it was built.  We bought it three years ago. Yesterday, DH and I went drapery shopping and picked out some lovely curtains for our living room and dining room, as well as curtains for our sliding patio door and plantation blinds for the window above my kitchen sink. All of the curtains have the grommets at the top and we chose lovely bronze decorative rods that compliment our decor. We ordered everything except the kitchen blinds through jcp's website. I can't wait to receive them as I think they're really going to give this place a homey touch! I know people seem to be divided into two camps: drapes or blinds. Which do you prefer?

Honored Contributor

I'm a curtain with a valance person.

I tried to like just blinds with a valance and couldn't do it!  

Esteemed Contributor

I have both in living room and kitchen.   Mini-blinds and drapes or (kitchen) curtain.   In living room I can/do tilt the blinds for winter months when it gets dark early.  Privacy thing for me. 

Honored Contributor

I like drapes and blinds.  To me, it depends on the room and level of privacy desired.  Bedrooms have blinds, all have sheers and some also have drapes.  Sliding door in kitchen and living room just have drapes.  Kitchen windows have nothing.

Honored Contributor

I do tie tab drapes.  We collect primitive antiques and blinds wouldn't work.

Honored Contributor

mostly horizontal blinds.......the honeycomb type with the room darkening feature.....all of them have a matching valance...... some bedrooms, bathrooms, back doors, kitchen, and sunroom.

one bedroom has fabric roman blinds.

one bedroom has sheer curtains on a sliding door and the honeycomb type with the room darkening feature on the regular window.

the den has sheer curtains on the windows with functiona heavierl curtains to cover them at night.

dining room has vertical blinds with the room darkening feature on a sliding glass door.

living room has sheer curtains on a bow window with decorative non-functional "curtains" on each side of the wall and a large valance.

windows in the basement have no window coverings at all.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

@Texasmouse.  Isn't it fun to get all new stuff☺  Hope you love everything.   I have cherry wood mini blinds in the kitchen to match the cabinets.  I have lace curtains and drape side panels in the living room.   I have roman shades and drape side panels in the other rooms.  I always get my window treatments at JCP.  I like having drapes on the sides so I don't have to order custom made shades.

Honored Contributor

I face West in Phoenix, so I went to plantation shutters

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Blinds with valance and swags in formal living room and family room.  Blinds in all bedrooms with either curtains or linen sheers for more privacy. 

Honored Contributor

Insulated or blackout drapes in every room; no blinds ever in this house.