Esteemed Contributor

Re: Downsizing, advice welcome

@queendiva   Thank you and you too!!

Esteemed Contributor

Slowly I am decluttering.  The furniture will be a problem.  Generations of stuff that are antiques and well made and bring back memories.  Seems I was the KEEPER  for the family who now want none of it.  I might stay here, hopefully. Rural, but near cities and   comfortable.  We have awesome neighbors and live in a really nice setting in the woods on a small mountain.  

Occasional Contributor

I went through this almost two years ago and homedecor1 provided exceptional advice.  I was in the same home for 35 years and I had “stuff” all over.  The only thing I would add is to be ruthless....ask why am I keeping this?  Junk pick up services is a good idea.  I also lined my curb with give always that were still useable as I didn’t want to go through the yard sale thing.  People took what the wanted and I felt good.

Fast forward almost two years and I am so happy I got rid of my stuff!  Such a good feeling...i’d describe my new home as minimalist and I love it!

Honored Contributor

Just a thought: To go from two levels to one doesn't necessarily mean downsizing.

Honored Contributor

I will be going thru the down sizing too--had a huge tree fall on the 2nd story of the house that did major damage. will need the whole upstairs re done---yes there are stairs---I hate them--but we will have to move out for a few months while re con goes on---so need to move stuff out that we won't need and then move what we will need into another place then---move it all back into the house again. And then wait to sell it and move it all again-----OMG--am having a panic attack just thinking about it. Been in this house for 33 years now--lots of junk!! 

Honored Contributor

@wagirl   We moved a couple of years ago after having lived in our old house for over 25 years.  It is a major undertaking, but if you're working on some of the sorting now for your construction, it will make the move-packing easier.  Good luck; I feel your pain!!  LOL

And it will all be worth it!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Get rid of half of your stuff and don't move to a smaller house.  Move to a house that works better for you and has the rooms and size you need to live comfortably at home when you are older, not working and at home more.

Give yourself room for storage and relaxing and doing the things you love to do.

About selling:  Maybe your best bet is to figure up how much you would spend "updating" and think would you rather price the house accordingly?  Lots of people won't like anything you do, so keep that in mind.

Do a LOT of research and find out how long homes stay on the market and think about why.  Don't expect to get more for your house because you love it; work with market analysis.  Go to EVERY open house you can in your area and check Zillow daily and you'll get a better read on what sells.

If some realtors in your area will buy the house, check that out.  You never know.  Some are buying and flipping now, and that way the money risked on "updating" is not your money.

In this market, I see a lot of updated houses sit a long time.  It is a lot luck.  Do not hesitate to let realtors bring people to the house!  The more people and realtors you get through the more are your chances of a sale.  

Check out the potential realtor, their sales and ratings, the company AND the brokers at that company before you buy.  Get pre qualified for a loan if you need one, and come to the market ready to sell and to buy.  Know what you want. Have a lowest acceptable price in mind for your house.  What you could really afford to sell it for, not what you WANT to sell if for--in case you find your dream home! Or just a house you really like.

And yes, location IS the most important thing about how happy you will be where you live I think.  For me it is. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Slowly I am decluttering.  The furniture will be a problem.  Generations of stuff that are antiques and well made and bring back memories.  Seems I was the KEEPER  for the family who now want none of it.  I might stay here, hopefully. Rural, but near cities and   comfortable.  We have awesome neighbors and live in a really nice setting in the woods on a small mountain.  

@bonnielu  BOY do I feel your pain!  I finally closed the family museum about 5 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.  I'm living my life now, not being a storage shed for folks no longer with us.  

I do not love or miss them or think of them less, I just am not as sore at them for dumping this stuff on me.  Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

We put fresh paint in most of the house. The foyer and kitchen floor needed replaced. We also cleaned out closets and attic. Got rid of stuff we didn’t want or nerd. Moved what we could to storage. I think we did a few things to the exterior.

We bought land at Christmas of 2015 not intending to sell for about 1.5 years later. So we did more then what most do because we had time.

we sold our house in five days. We had a full price offer the first day but they backed out within a few hours when they realized with a change in income they might not get approved, but four days later had another and it was a cash offer. It went very smooth with the buyer. Inspection went well. She only asked to have one thing fixed and it cost about $200. 

When we put it up for sale we had a few things to still do. We stuck notes on those things letting them know they were being worked on.

Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Just a thought: To go from two levels to one doesn't necessarily mean downsizing.

Yep. We upsized by about 400 square feet not counting the basement.