Respected Contributor

Does anyone miss Fenton art glass? I wish they'd make new pieces. My grandmother had a few pieces in her kitchen, and my mother bought me some pieces when I was younger. It wasn't Lalique, but it didn't have a Lalique price tag. It was American and nostalgic. I also miss the ruby and cobalt Mary Gregory glass pieces.

Esteemed Contributor

Missing them YES, but in my case WHAT TO DO WITH THEM?  I am in the decluttering stage of my life and what I have my daughters do not appreciate or want.  In conversation with one of them the others day I lamented about having to clean out and her comment was "mom there is always a trash can."

Respected Contributor

I think some home styles cycle just like apparel styles cycle. Home styles have cycled back to rustic, industrial, mid-century modern, etc. I'm waiting for the American art glass to come back...lol.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Missing them YES, but in my case WHAT TO DO WITH THEM?  I am in the decluttering stage of my life and what I have my daughters do not appreciate or want.  In conversation with one of them the others day I lamented about having to clean out and her comment was "mom there is always a trash can."

Every "senior"  I speak with says the same thing--their kids don't want any of their "things".  We saved so many items for our kids for when they had their own places--by the time they moved they didn't want most of it and we  donated items.  The kids don't want "collectibles" (which I do not have), sets of dishes, small appliances, decor, etc. 

Respected Contributor

I'm not big into "stuff" that just sits around and collects dust, but I do have a few small pieces of Fenton Burmese that I love and plan to keep with me until someone else has to find a place for them. I particularly love the little Christmas tree, the snowman and several others.  I have a piece of furniture in the MBR that needs a few pieces like these to fill in small nooks, so they are perfect. I do miss the shows and the vendors - very interesting people.

Valued Contributor

I have many of the cats. They are the same pose, just different glass. Now, what do I do with them? They sit around and gather dust. At first it was inexpensive at about $20.00 each. But after Bill stopped coming on QVC the price doubled. Not as interesting to collect anymore. Bil showed film of pieces being made and the artists all had names. Once he was gone, it was all sell, sell. Now I'm in the same spot as most people my age. No one wants the "stuff" anymore. I inherited several sets of china. I sold one set, got lucky on that one, gave away a couple sets, and the rest were donated to charities. No one want them. You have to wash them by hand, and they can't be used in a microwave. Everything has lost it's "value", and the younger generation just have no use for it. I miss seeing the guy from Boyd's Bears, too, but no one would buy them. And Marie got out of the doll business when they lost value. Hummel's were always more expensive than you could get back out of them. And doesn't everyone have at least a couple beanies laying around? And Precious Moments were hot there for awhile, now you can't give them away either. Stuff. I'm at the declutter age, and the kids don't want to start. Collecting is over for now. Maybe in another generation. 

Honored Contributor

Love Fenton glass. Have my Moms. I especially like the black glass. Collectiableshave no big value. Bought a Cherished Teddy yester day for $1.99. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I believe  Fenton either closed or was sold or something. Anyway I don't think it's still around or if it is , not the same.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone miss...

[ Edited ]

Someone (shopperqvc) mentioned Beanies. OMG I have a HUGE number of adorable cute Beanie Babies. I didn't buy them thinking of making money at some point, I just kept buying them for their cuteness. No clue what to do with them or who to give them to. They are in bags in an old cedar chest. I could probably get someone to take that old cedar chest before anybody would want to take the beanies.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl I set out seasonable beanies to get use out of them.  Through the years I've given some away to children.