Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wash clothes at the beginning of the season?

all of my clothes are together all year long......like items with like items and then color coded. they are always put away clean so no need to wash them again until i wear them again.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I always wash items as they are used, so I do not do it again at the beginning of a season. Except for coats which always seem to be used longer than expected and have to be cleaned and water-proofed before the cold weather.

Maybe the items you notice an odor in just need a hot wash?

Contributor

Hahah!!! My hubby and I go round and round about this!! He claims they are fine as is...but, especially with my spring/summer clothes, I do like to wash them because even though they are packed in plastic bags and then in totes, we also have a coal furnace going all winter, so, I want to make sure my warm weather clothes are fresh as as nice smelling as can be!
Respected Contributor

I only wear my clothes once, and then wash or dry clean them and hang in the closet. I don't wash them again before the new season starts.

I've never noticed any kind of smell from hanging in the closet.

Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Ladybug837 said: By the way, the smell is hard to describe but its like it burns your nose. My whole family's clothes and linens are like this. Maybe the detergent? Can anyone recommend a unscented detergent that might help?

Are the drawers wooden? All woods have their own aroma.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Some woods do smell strange. My daughter had a dresser that she felt was making her clothes smell bad though I never felt the odor was strong at all. I think she just didn't like it.

Trusted Contributor

If you use too much detergent, and don't rinse it all out, after that long in storage it tends to leave an unpleasant scent. I don't know why this is, but it does. Also, you can get a closet deodorizer that contains charcoal that also will help with the issue.

Honored Contributor

On 3/17/2015 Desertdi said:
On 3/17/2015 Ladybug837 said: By the way, the smell is hard to describe but its like it burns your nose. My whole family's clothes and linens are like this. Maybe the detergent? Can anyone recommend a unscented detergent that might help?

Are the drawers wooden? All woods have their own aroma.

I agree it could be your storage areas (drawers and closets) that are transferring odors, as wood does have a smell to it (to me anyway). If the closets and drawers are in your regular living space (like not in an attic or basement), and humidity is somewhat controlled, perhaps you could put something in there to combat the smell. I place a pleasant bar of soap in such areas, and it gives stored things a nice smell. Really, after only 6 months unused, they shouldn't need washed unless you have some strong smells (from cooking, heating with wood, coal or oil) being produced somewhere.

And I usually don't wash the clothing at the beginning of a season, as I put the things away clean.

Honored Contributor

I keep all my off season clothes in zippered plastic bags and a large plastic trunk in my garage, I generally wash everything when I bring it into the house for the season

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Where do you store the clothing? I wash my clothing before I put it away, but then when I'm ready to wear it I just take it out and wear it. It doesn't smell. It doesn't have a very far trip to go to "storage" for the season-- just in another bedroom down the hall. I have all of my out of season clothing in a guest room and a few things in another closet in a 4th bedroom which my daughter still has some of her things in.

I guess if you put it in a storage unit, or in a basement or attic, it might smell bad.