Super Contributor

Do you wash clothes at the beginning of the season?

I've been pulling out short sleeve shirts now that we're having some warm days. Does anyone else have to wash their clothes t the beginning of each season like I do? Mine get this yucky smell after hanging in the closet or in the drawers not being worn for a while. It seems like my older clothes are worse than my newer ones. Only the shirts and sweaters have this problem. Why is that do you think? I put them all away clean and I use all unscented detergent.
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you wash clothes at the beginning of the season?

No, I wash them at the end and put them away wrinkled and iron them when the new season begins.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

By the way, the smell is hard to describe but its like it burns your nose. My whole family's clothes and linens are like this. Maybe the detergent? Can anyone recommend a unscented detergent that might help?
Honored Contributor

I don't rewash my clothing at the beginning of the season. Mine smell just fine.

Do you live in a humid climate or do you store your clothing in a humid area. Maybe your deordorant or perfume was not completely washed out and went rancid. I can't think of any other reasons why your clothing would have an unpleasant smell.

Honored Contributor

No. I don't change out clothes really. I wear short sleeves shirts all year round.

Super Contributor

That's it! It's like a rancid smell. I don't use perfume or scented things due to allergies so I don't know what it would be.
Honored Contributor

Only if I didn't wash them before storing them.

Respected Contributor

I have had that "smell" which I associate with the clothes being closed up in a drawer all fall/winter long. Now, after I wash my shirts and put them away, I put a dryer sheet in the drawer with them.

Super Contributor

My husbands clothes, pillow cases, even where he sits on the couch can get that rancid smell because he is very oily as opposed to dry skin. I spray the couch with Lysol. The clothes and the other things wash as hot as possible. Sometimes add borax. We don't have allergies so I use regular detergent and softener. I wash everything often because I'm a fresh freak.
Super Contributor

No. Living in FL, I wear the majority of my wardrobe year round. The exception being sweaters, which I fold in drawers with a bar of Dove soap. (This makes the whole drawer smell great, but not overwhelming.)