Respected Contributor

Re: Do you recall your furniture from your first home?

I guess we all have "fond" memories of those days. We slept on folding camp cots. Had a couple lawn chairs, a folding card table, small TV and stand. That was it at first. Didn't even have a refrigerator and kept things out on a window sill overnight. We got more as time went on. I called it Early Salvation Army style. Those were the old days for sure.

Regular Contributor

We rented a very small two bedroom flat with shag carpet in every room including the bedroom and bathroom! Husband put those sticky tiles on the kitchen floor after we moved in. We bought a plaid living room set and a mattress set from a hotel furniture liquidator that just happened to be in town right before we got married. Had a portable 12 in TV from my parents house. Otherwise we bought our dressers from home and bought dishes and silverware from the discount store in town to go with what we received as wedding gifts. Did take a nice honeymoon to Disneyworld though, that was our first flight back in 1978.

It is what it is!!!
Honored Contributor

Yes, mostly hand-me-downs from family, second hand kitchen appliances, etc. The only exception was a sofa that we purchased new. Our first home purchase was a "starter home" with kitchen/eating area, living room, one bathroom, and two bedrooms. All the rooms were very small. Oh my, those were the days! Smile

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Esteemed Contributor

All we could afford was the waterbed, not the frame. Those were the days.

Honored Contributor

It was all John M. Smyth ""contemporary""

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

This will sound depressing but it really wasn't. It was "heavy and rich" and the style. MY first apartment (by myself) had a Spanish Style. Fake black sofa and chair, red shag carpet, heavy dark wood candle holders and accents, pictures of still life fruits, etc. in dark rich colors. It was kinda cozy, but oh so different than what people want today with light, light and more light.

Valued Contributor

On an added note about my Spanish Style apartment, my first bedroom set was a dark fruitwood (all wood, no staples and pressed wood.) I paid $300 for the big 3 piece set and it has been with me through the first marriage and now this one of 33 years. The long heavy dresser has been cussed at by more men trying to wrestle that thing up and down stairs. But, I love it as much today as when I bought it. It lives in a guest room now and it is about 52 years old.

Respected Contributor

I still have furniture from when I got married 54 years ago. We bought Broyhill furniture bedroom , living room end tables, all solid wood these pieces are still in great condition today. they are scattered in different areas of my home. My kitchen table is down in the basement along with three others we bought over the years. I use them to store things on. Gave the chairs away.

Honored Contributor

My first home was a townhouse. I bought a couch, dresser, kitchen table, the rest of the furniture came from my parents house. I moved twice before I had enough money to replace it. Just kept a few sentimental tables from my grandparents.
Honored Contributor

My first apartment as a newly wed came furnished. It was 1967. The apt came furnished for 99 a month. It was that blonde Danish Modern plastic furniture! The tiered corner table. The cushioned couch, with long legs/ Yuck!

Then we bought our first home a year later and they gave us the furniture with the home. First home was all of 15,000. Came with a washer, stove, kitchen table (Formica and steel with vinyl chairs). They left a rose colored sculptured area rug over the asphalt floors, The furniture was mohair bouclé. We were young, and I don't think most people, especially the young had acquired a taste for antique furniture! I wound up painting the bedroom set, which was antique mahogany, with one of those green antique painting kits that were popular in the 60's. Yikes, what I would give for that set back!! It had a huge round mirror. The old couple who sold us the house, probably bought it in the late 1920"s. They were moving to a retirement place, had no where to , or no one to leave furniture. How kind they were.