Honored Contributor

Re: Do you pay for a storage unit?

When my DH was working we had my car, his truck and a company car plus a boat and a camper. He rented a garage size storage unit to store his truck in the winter since we really only used it for pulling our camper.We also stored our boat outside at the same facility. When we were taking the truck in for the winter we would pack the bed of the truck with seasonal things like outdoor furniture and camping gear etc and store them back there. When we got a golf cart we started storing it for the winter in the bed of the truck. Nice to get all that stuff safely put away but out of our way for the season. Oddly, now we live in a villa so we have no basement  but we are down to one vehicle and find we do not need a storage facility any longer.

Trusted Contributor

@violann wrote:

@KALLIE wrote:

@house_cat wrote:

I grew up in a small apartment in NYC and with the exception of one home we owned for six years, DH and I have always lived in small apartments and houses.  It has always been my belief that you shouldn't have more "stuff" than you can store easily.  DH disagrees and he's been paying $100-$129 a month for YEARS to keep a garage sized storage unit.

I've told him that we could have purchased those stored items several times over for what we pay for the unit.  He looks at it differently, saying that it's just a necessary living expense.  

We'll never agree on it, but it keeps his "overflow" out of the house, so we pay for it.  I'm just wondering if anyone else is in this situation. 

Fortunately, I've never had to pay for a storage unit since I've ALWAYS lived in a house that had tons of storage and a 3 car garage.

Doesn't your extensive and well trained staff keep things organized for you?

Thanks for asking. As a matter of fact, they do!!!

Esteemed Contributor

No, and it I have to store it ... I don't need it.  Period.  

My mom had more than one and when she died, we went to it.  Interesting the place was charging her for three and she had two.  That was 10 years of extra fees.  We discovered it was not hers in the first place.  I might add she moved out of town and left it there and paid and paid and paid.  No idea why.  In any case  we got her money back, sadly she however never knew what happened.   And the two that were hers were not even partially full.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never have until last year, when I sold my house to move in with my elderly mother and I only brought a few things with me to the family home. I sold a bunch of stuff before I moved but still needed storage. I will keep the unit for a few years -- I've had it one year already --  until the extent of my "temporary relocation" becomes clearer. I do intend to sell a few of the remaining furniture pieces, so I'll probably hire someone to take those out of the unit.

I have a large climate- controlled unit in a very safe location, and I visit it on a regular basis. 

The unit cost went up $20, but my renter's insurance went up 50%!  Therefore, one more year is it for me -- if I stay at the family home for much longer than that I'll move everything into the garage and squeeze the car in!

Esteemed Contributor

@Frankie_Dee wrote:

It is my personal belief that if you need a storage shed (building, unit, whatever), you have too much stuff! It's amazing how little we actually need to live with. The rest is just luxuries!

I don't even use the attic areas in my house- for things other than bulky items I use infrequently, like luggage. You can easily lose sight on the amount of stuff you accumulate when it's hidden away. Even when I had a studio apartment in NYC - each person had a small storage area in the basement, I jsut used it for switching out the season of clothing. 

This thread is a reminder that I need to get more donations together!!! Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

We downsized from an 11 room colonial to a 2 bedroom condo.  Last summer, we move into a larger 2 bedroom condo that has much much more storage space.  Our condo complex has storage space, they call them storage clockers but they are more like little rooms.  We have one, it costs $300 a year.  We keep seasonal stuff in it.  Hubby's skis, our Christmas decorations.  We also keep the good dishes and silver and all that "fussy" stuff that we no longer use and my married daughters don't want.  It's just $300 a year but even if it was $1000 a year, we'd still pay for storage. 

Honored Contributor

When we moved to Fl. our new house has such high ceilings that DH added 2 additional sets of shelves above the one that was already there in each closet. This has provided us with all the storage space we need for even things like Christmas decor. We do have to use a ladder to get it up & down off those shelves but for now it is fine. The attic spaces in Florida get much too hot and humid for any actual storage. All we have in our attic are empty storage bins that we use to pack in when we snowbird.

Respected Contributor

That would be a NO. The garage is our storage unit. The 4x4 truck will not fit in there anyhow, so plenty of room for other stuff. We do not even park the car in there, so it is a two car garage used for storage. when we put in a new ac/heating system in a few years back they vented and included the garage. Even if I did not have that space to work with - if, I had to pay for storage, I would just give stuff away or trash it. It is an organized storage room - I usually can find just about anything I am looking for out there. Sometimes, I still go thru it and get rid of something else. It amazes me how much STUFF we do actually have!! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you have a house you don't really need one. For the costs of storage you can buy the items over and over. Unless you got expensive rare antiques and gold in there.

$139 for a 5 x 9 unit?...... That's is ridiculous.. imo. $1668 a year!

Honored Contributor

No storage unit for my family, but we do have a half basement and very large 2 car garage.   When we built the garage onto our house  13 years ago, I made sure everyone here understood that the purpose of the garage is a covered area to park cars.  I was not building it for storage space, and then be forced to park my vehicle in the driveway.   The garage gets a bit messy at times, but our vehicles are always parked inside of it.