Honored Contributor

Do you pay for a storage unit?

[ Edited ]

I grew up in a small apartment in NYC and with the exception of one home we owned for six years, DH and I have always lived in small apartments and houses.  It has always been my belief that you shouldn't have more "stuff" than you can store easily.  DH disagrees and he's been paying $100-$129 a month for YEARS to keep a garage sized storage unit.

I've told him that we could have purchased those stored items several times over for what we pay for the unit.  He looks at it differently, saying that it's just a necessary living expense.  

We'll never agree on it, but it keeps his "overflow" out of the house, so we pay for it.  I'm just wondering if anyone else is in this situation. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Do you pay for a storage unit?

As long as he's paying w/his $$$ I could care less.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

We used to. It started out that my mom needed one and we agreed to split it with her. It was so nice to be able to store things that we didn't really need often that didn't take space up in the garage. At that time, we lived in a condo and didn't have a basement. At that time we rented that unit, the monthly expense was $39 - well worth it. $20 a month for each of us. Gradually it increased to over $100 and we decided it was more trouble than it was worth. We wound up getting rid of it At the time it was a great solution.
Frequent Contributor

It is my personal belief that if you need a storage shed (building, unit, whatever), you have too much stuff! It's amazing how little we actually need to live with. The rest is just luxuries!

Honored Contributor

I agree.
~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Frankie, you're right. Generally, we have just way too much stuff. I have pared down a lot. At that time, we had two little kids and they had a lot of stuff I didn't want to part with. I have learned to be a minimalist and it's such a freeing feeling to not worry about all the stuff Lol
Honored Contributor

I have two friends who live in condos and they both have storage units. They store seasonal items like Christmas decorations or patio furniture.  Seems like a good idea to me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat. I was shocked when my friend told me how much they were paying to rent a storage unit.  Her DH passed away and that was one of the first things she took care of.  She was paying $200 a month.

Respected Contributor

I pay $58 for a garage-sized storage unit. I use if for holiday decorations and seasonal items. My son also stores some items from his ebay store in there.

To me, it's worth the money. Neither of us lives in a large apartment.

Honored Contributor

I've never had a need to rent a storage unit.  It would be easier for me to part with stuff than $ for storage.