Honored Contributor

Re: Do you or don't you? #topsheets

[ Edited ]

Some of us actually are co ordinated enough to pull back the quilt and the top sheet and get into our bed between the 2 sheets without difficulty.

If you don't use a top sheet you'd need to wash the quilt very often, which doesn't appeal to me at all.I prefer to just wash a top sheet every week.

Beside sometimes I'm warm and prefer to only have the top sheet over me, so I push the quilt to the bottom.

Before we were married my DH did not want to deal with making a bed so he slept in a sleeping bag every night.

Honored Contributor

We were raised with a fitted sheet, a top sheet, then a blanket (in winter) and bedspread. 

The top layer (bedspread or quilt later in life) was turned down and not used for sleeping, to keep it clean and nice looking longer.

When I grew up, I did pretty much the same thing, but couldn't afford to keep the heat up very high for many years, so added more blankets! LOL

When I had my son, he was such a hot sleeper that when I moved him from a crib to a bed, I did away with the top sheet for his bed. It just made making the bed easier, and kept down the layers that made him too hot. All year he had just a bottom sheet (over a mattress pad) and a quilt. Lightweight for the summer and heavier for the winter. 

Honored Contributor

i use a top sheet.......so do my daughters and so does my mom.

my son does not use a top sheet.

my s/o does not use a top sheet.

for duvet covers i have special clips that help keep everything in place.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I knew lots of sleepers preferred no top sheet, but by the time I add a duvet to a quilt or light comforter, it's already heavier and more awkward for me to handle than using a top sheet and a separate piece above it.

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't want to deal w/a duvet cover every time I changed sheets.  Always a top sheet gal.  I like that feeling of the same sheets top and bottom.

Honored Contributor

Yes on top sheets.  I don't use blankets - just sheets and comforter. 

Honored Contributor

To me it would seem like a bigger PITA to remove the duvet cover each week then put the blanket or comforter back in after washing.

Plus I'm still in summer mode so I only have a lightweight cottom quilt (even with the AC I'm still hot) over my top sheet.   A duvet wouldn't work.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch

There must be some trick to removing and replacing duvet covers, because every time I've tried it, I wound up saying bad words.... if you get my drift.

@house_cat

My cover has been sitting in the top of the linen closet for several years.  Not worth the effort to use it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Top sheet.  No exceptions.

I try and pull back the bedding to let the mattress and "top bedding" air out between "sleeps", before I make it.  Sometimes I air the pillows and spreads/comforters/quilts outside, in between laundering.

Thankfully there is no HOA to wag a finger at laundry out-of-doors. Just practical good living.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the thoroughly enjoyable article @house_cat!  I like the picture too -- such a serene setting.

Growing up, my mother did not use top sheets.  We kids had blankets on our beds and I don't recall how often she washed them, but I know it wasn't every week.  And here I am, years later, alive to tell the story and without disease.  LOL  

Once I married, I started using top sheets.  Like another poster said, they came with the fitted sheet and it just seemed wasteful not to.  Plus, I just like the idea of using them.  It makes my bed feel more "finished" to me.

As far as I know, neither my brother nor sisters use top sheets (but I'm not completely positive as it's not really a subject that gets brought up often).