Honored Contributor

Do You Use Teaspoons Very Often?

That topic about Iced Tea spoons got me to thinking about something I've thought about recently:  I hardly ever use teaspoons.  My thanks to OP of other thread for the idea!  Great discussion!

I use the larger tablespoons for cereal, for small serving spoons, and even for dessert spoons.  I have smaller spoons I use in coffee and tea, and a used the iced beverage spoons so often I have them on the counter in an old antique celery vase (yes, there was such a thing!).

The poor teaspoons sit unloved and unused in the drawer mostly now.  

So, do you still use yours a lot?  I think people with children around would use them more.

We also eat a lot of soft boiled eggs, so have egg spoons, and use our grapefruit spoons for citrus, and often for seeding cucumbers or tomatoes or other things, like apples too! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Use Teaspoons Very Often?

I use my teaspoons a lot.  I do not like the tablespoons for eating anything.  They are too big and feel uncomfortable in my mouth.  When I give my DH a tablespoon for soup or cereal, he will exchange it for a teaspoon too.

I do use the tablespoons for serving food when it's just my DH and me.

Esteemed Contributor

Use my all the time, more than once a day.  Sometimes the more I read this board the weirder I think I am.  We all sure have different styles.

Honored Contributor

I probably use teaspoons, tablespoons and iced tea spoons equally.  Can't live withut any of them!

Super Contributor

I use teaspoons almost exclusively.  I bet I wash 6 a day, just for me!  I use them for stirring my coffee, eating cereal, soups, anything that requires a spoon I use a teaspoon.  I used to use the tablespoon but as I'm trying to eat better, smaller portions, and slower, the teaspoon has become my choice.  

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~
Respected Contributor

I use my teaspoons so often sometimes I run out before the day is over.  I use the tablespoons for soup and serving.  I have Ice tea spoons also for stirring tall drinks and for some very thick milk shakes.

Honored Contributor

I use teaspoons all of the time. I even like them instead of soup spoons.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I use teaspoons for coffee, tea and desserts that require a spoon.  Tablespoons are used for soup here.

Recently I read something that left me wondering...  It seems the author used the term tablespoon and serving spoon interchangeably.  Clearly we don't use serving spoons for soups.  In the grand scheme of spoons, the tablespoon is the middle one (just to be clear.)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use teaspoons all the time - for cereal, soup, puddings, yogurt, chopped up fruit, ice cream, stirring coffee or tea, etc.  I use my tablespoons much less - basically for serving items like vegetables or mashed potatoes at dinner time.  I don’t own any type of serving spoons. 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

I use teaspoons for coffee, tea and desserts that require a spoon.  Tablespoons are used for soup here.

Recently I read something that left me wondering...  It seems the author used the term tablespoon and serving spoon interchangeably.  Clearly we don't use serving spoons for soups.  In the grand scheme of spoons, the tablespoon is the middle one (just to be clear.)

@faeriemoon   Interesting question.  I have read that in the English manor houses (and in Jane Austin's time) they used a larger spoon than we would use for eating soup.

I have noticed in many period movies that they eat a lot of soup, and that they DO use larger (what we would call a large tablespoon or perhaps even a small serving spoon) in the scenes.

I know we do use larger spoons for soup and cereal than we used when I was a child--long long ago!  ALTHOUGH we did use the tablespoon for cereal as I remember.  

Now we have Continental sized flatware for ever day, and everything is bigger--even me unfortunately!  LOL!!!  But now I can't eat soup with a teaspoon without spilling!

Also depends on the shape of the spoon because some are flatter and some have a deeper bowl that holds liquid better.