Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Deliberately Combine Different Flatware Patterns in One Setting?

Oh, that is beautiful, @Tigriss.  Just beautiful!  I knew there must be a better photo of it somewhere.  Each piece is different (and I think each is a copy of an old, venerable sterling pattern, isn't it?) but they blend together in such a sophisticated, "collected-looking" way.  I prefer "Hotel" now to my own stainless, and I really like my stainless!

Respected Contributor

The Amazon description says: Impero dinner fork, Queens salad fork, William & Mary dinner knife and Federalist dinner spoon, plus (24) Barocco teaspoons. They are actual patterns produced by Wallace. There is an older set out there that is very similar but different handles on the pieces like one of the modern forks and older spoons has the same handle. A review from someone that just bought the new set to fill out the older set posted pictures. She did say the new one is hefter and higher quality. She didn't think they could have made them better than her original set. I'm glad I got it, as I have had the same set since college, so I waited for quite a while before I found something that spoke to me. Now I'm slowly building my dishes up in different patterns to go with it. I like older ones but they aren't all microwave/dishwasher safe. Oh the pains of being eclectic/shabby chic.
Respected Contributor

I agree

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell

Was not familiar with the Tiffany Audobon pattern.  It is elegant and beautiful.  I had seen 18th Century, but would not have been able to pull it up in my memory.  The salad fork is unique and it is timeless, classic pattern.

King Richard is lovely, too.  I could live with any of those patterns!  There is something about the feel of it in your hands and on your lips, don't you think?  

I grew up in a "poor" family and don't recall EVER seeing sterling until I was out on my own.  I fell in love with fine china, crystal and sterling.  I was grown and in my own home by the time I bought my sterling flatware.

A dear friend of mine has the most unusual pattern I have every seen.  Versailles by Gorham.  It is patterned on both the front and back.  She told me it was because the flatware, at one time, was placed face down on the table.  I never researched it, but it was an interesting idea.

It would not be a pattern I would select, but I think it was handed down through her family.  Very, very ornate.  

Here is a picture of Versailles.

Versailles by Gorham Sterling Silver Flatware Set for Eight Service 64 Pieces  4

Honored Contributor

Whoa, @Witchy Woman, that is extraordinary, with those little imps or cherubs or whatever they are!  I'm fascinated with that-- could see it on the table of Mad King Ludwig or something, ha!  Love that they had the integrity to finish it so amazingly all around...

Yes, silver feels wonderful.  We didn't have sterling growing up either.  My mother had a silver plate pattern,"Modern Love", I think it was called.  It has a wonderful retro look  Later, when I was older, she must have gotten a few demitasse spoons in the sterling pattern "Prelude" by International Silver.  She would bring them out for serving coffee.

Talking to you makes me want to polish my silver!  I really enjoy my stainless too.  Years ago I got "Fenwick" by RSVP, from QVC as a matter of fact.  It is a fiddle and thread design and the capper is, they were offering it monogrammed!  I am a sucker for monogramming!  Of course it is now discontinued, boo.  But it shows up occ.for sale from various sources in other letters-- and I don't mind having other monograms, so....

My secondary stainless set is/was "Boston Antique" by Towle.  Very plain teardrop design, nice and heavy too.  Of course, they discontinued it!  Now they have brought it back, but in a slightly larger size, so it won't stack the same in the drawer, naturally.  That annoys me...

I can't tell you what fun it is to discuss this tableware stuff with another aficionado, @Witchy Woman!