Super Contributor

Re: Do People Still Use Overhead Fans In Their Kitchens?

We installed a white Hunter ceiling fan in the kitchen and love it.  I wipe it down  2 times a year and love it.  Not a fan of air conditioning except for extreme  heat or humidity,  this fan  does a nice job cooling the kitchen.  I don't leave it on continuously but it is on nearly everyday during warm weather.  I certainly would replace it when it stops running.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG @cuddlesmama   I have had that same advice from several contractors recently for expenses far costlier than installing a new fan.  Only if my home were already on the market or would be there within a season would I be too concerned about what is trending.

Respected Contributor

We have central a/c but still have ceiling fans - bedrooms and dining area.  I'd love to have one in my kitchen, though.  We get the sun ALL afternoon in the kitchen and in the summer it's miserable.  I think I'll ask hubby for a ceiling fan in the kitchen.  Thanks for the suggestion!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

When we first had the house built almost thirty years ago I had a fan in the kitchen. It was over the table, not the work area.  I can't remember when I got rid of it since I felt it was a bit dated at the time and put in a nice chandelier instead.  I haven't missed the fan there.

I rarely see fans in kitchens however my mother kept hers in the condo that she has in south Florida....it comes in handy there.

I am seeing designers saying that they are dated. However I have fans in the bedrooms and I use the one in the master just about every night since I tend to get hot easily.

Valued Contributor

Your home, your choice! In our area, usually newer construction homes have them or newer condos (within past 20 years). Older homes are 50/50 have them or don't. I don't have any & have no desire to ever have one installed.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cuddlesmama   I would love to have a ceiling fan in my kitchen!  

If you are afraid that it may look dated, you can always look into the "drum" type celing fans, where the fan is smaller and enclosed inside, so you don't see the blades too much.  

Like this one.  Just search drum ceiling fan.  The one below is available at Home Dept.  I purchased these types for 2 of my bedrooms, since I was tired of looking at the fans on the older ones I had (plus the style was dated).  These give fair to medium light, not super strong light, so keep that in mind when choosing one if interested.

black-home-decorators-collection-ceiling-fans-with-lights-sfl-550l3-64_600.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

I have heard ceiling fans are a decorating no no today. However, we have them in all of the bedrooms and they stay on all summer long. As far as the kitchen, I would love one but have not found one that was current looking. My solution has been a small, 5" battery operated fan that I can move around with me as I work in the kitchen.

Trusted Contributor

I have a small three blade fan over the kitchen table but not in the work area. I live in Texas and ceiling fans are welcome here whether or not they are "on trend." The eat-in portion of my kitchen faces west and moving the air around not only helps disperse odors but makes the area more comfortable during the summer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'd say it is a regional thing.  I cannot imagine anyone not liking air conditioning.  Where we live it is a must from usually late April up to and including some days in October.

Around here, a fan is nice, and we have one in the den, bedrooms, office, and back porch.  I don't ever remember seeing one in a kitchen though.  Interesting!  You learn something every day!  

Decorating is a regional thing.  Summer is too!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

would never put a ceiling fan in a kitchen---just another thing to attract greasy dust----and then fling it around--had a friend who had one in hers--was noisy and the light was a joke--she got rid of it when they remodeled-----