Respected Contributor

Do People Still Use Overhead Fans In Their Kitchens?

I have had a overhead fan in my kitchen for 20 years or  more and now it is loose and swaying when it is on so I haven't used it in a while. We had an Electrician over yesterday to do some work and he told us why it is  swaying when on and suggested a new fan as this is old and the ones have different mechanics in them to prevent this. Anyway, I did like the fan when it was working but just wondering is it now dated to have kitchen overhead fans. Or maybe I should  just put a light fixture up. Any suggestions would sbe appreciated. Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Do People Still Use Overhead Fans In Their Kitchens?

Never had a ceiling fan in my kitchen. While I can imagine there might be times when a person would want one, I can also imagine the blades getting quite dirty. If you're planning on staying in the house, put in what you want because trends come and go.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have a ceiling fan in our kitchen that we purposely had installed about 5 years ago.  I don't use it as often as my other ceiling fans, but it certainly helps if I've had the oven on a long time and I need to start circulating air to cool the kitchen off.  I also use it when I know I'm going to make something (like a stir fry) that causes extra steam to permeate through the room.  My kitchen fire detector is a little too close to the stove top and easily goes off.  The ceiling fan helps.

Honored Contributor

Yes, we have a fan in the kithen....the way our house is laid out, we need it to keep the air flowing.  I don't use it all the time but do use it.

All fan blades get dirty, it's just part of the house cleaning process.

Honored Contributor

I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen, LR, and bedroom. I love them! 

Respected Contributor

@AuntG 

As for fan blades getting dirty edges, I can tell you that one of the first jobs I do when get to the FL condo is wipe the blade edges.  

Even though no one has been there for 9 months, they do get a greasy buildup.  And, you really need to keep them on to keep air circulating.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I love overhead fans!  IMO they are practical and keep the room much more comfortable.  There are so many different fans available now.  We always have bought Hunter and never had a problem with any of them.

Regular Contributor

I have ceiling fans in every room except bath. Kitchen fan recently broke and I do miss it. Fans were installed in 1994 and worth every penny. Run BR and LR fans every night either low or medium depending if AC or heat on (of course switching rotation of blades). They do save you $$ on utility bills.  

Esteemed Contributor

We have one, @MaverDaver .  I don't use it a lot, though, because it was not installed properly!  I just turned it on - it's working fine, now, but if you turn the lights out it makes an enormous noise.  I don't think it was set up properly with a two-switch.

Now that I have it on, I see that it's something I'd like to replace.  The air movement is welcome.

We also have one in the bedroom and I use it 365 days/yr.  I reverse the blades in the cold and hot seasons to get the most out of it.  This one, yes, sways on high.  I run it on low and it's fine.  I guess I should replace it, too (too many other things to fix, though!).

I don't think it's dated.  They serve a useful purpose and that never goes out of style.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I'd love to have one,  but my kitchen ceiling is only 7 feet.