Honored Contributor

Want to get a lantern, that I can decorate, with every seasonal change.  But I also want an hour glass.  My table is round, and will be in my front window.  Do I need a 3rd item, as my husband thinks we do?  I haven't bought them yet, but bronze would go with a clock and lamps I already have in here.

What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Its very hard to say for me with no visual.  I would put what you have and "live with it" for a while.  Something could be added later if you chose.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I would try out things you have,  then if none works for you, go out shopping, also try homegoods, macys, different places,have fun with it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  When decorating there is a Rule of Three...objects look better in a group of three. That being said, my eye likes to see things in groups of two for some reason. Without knowing the size of the table and objects only you can make that decision. What I would do is buy three objects ( as long as you can return) and see if you like the two or need a third.

Honored Contributor

I like your idea of a seasonal lantern....just change out the trimmings on the lantern, easy and festive.

Honored Contributor

I like the Group of Three rule.  If you can't think of a third item to add, I'd use just the lantern and put the hourglass someplace else.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes all it takes for "that third item" is something you already have:  a small ceramic bird or other creature, a flat decorative platter or small bowl, add something in the bowl, an album, a few old books, lots of things will work.  

If you get the two things you want and love that look, stop there, but try a third from what you have, and if nothing works go shopping and have fun with the hunt.  Keep us posted on what you finally decide....!

Honored Contributor

A small stack of books would make a great "third item."  

Respected Contributor

How 'bout a Luminara candle?

Valued Contributor

Sometimes all I do is add a seasonal sprig of some size to tie in the other 2 items. There is the 3rd thing the decorators say we need.