Honored Contributor

SARAH RICHARDSON DESIGNS TINY KITCHEN ON A BUDGET

I thought this Sarah Richardson kitchen would be a good 'add-on' to the two other ones I posted.

"Before".    Sarah and Tommy had quite a challenge.

snapshot.jpg

There weren't any still pictures, it's just a video, so I had to pause, and snatch still shots from that, which is less than desirable.  If interested, the video is your best bet to get all the wealth of detail.

The kitchen has to occupy a small space, as it is in a narrow, tight little row house in an urban setting (probably Toronto, Ontario) :

snapshot.jpg 

I love "before and afters".  More "befores":

snapshot.jpg

It's about 11 feet by 11 feet, complete with cramped work areas, Eighties' light oak banded cabinetry, nondescript surfaces

snapshot.jpg

Sarah had to completely reconfigure it --  she removed an obstructing island, replacing it with a space-saving peninsula, added some tall pantry cupboards, and removed some walls, opening it more to the next room.  Even though she could add no square footage, it helped that she opened it up to that little sitting room abutting it. 

The kitchen has no windows, but she cleverly made a slot high in one wall, that allows light from a nearby skylight to come in. The kitchen also gets 'borrowed' light from that adjacent sitting room.

She gave the kitchen a custom look by having some cabinets spray lacquered a yummy shade of green.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 22-42-54 We Built An Open Plan Kitchen With a Low Budget (Interior Renovation) Sarah 101 Abode.png

They then did one of my favorite things-- they mixed those green cabinets with white ones, and with handsome steel ones with frosted glass fronts--  it gives a custom look, even using less-expensive, non-custom elements. 

snapshot.jpg

Hope you can see how Sarah's choice of glass-fronted cabinets mixes so interestingly with the others.

snapshot.jpg

There are too many fun things to cover --  she and Tommy, her design cohort, went with an outsize neutral porcelain tile floor, and she chose a retro design money-saving laminate for the countertops, that combines the greens and grays of the scheme. 

But my favorite things are the handsome, two-tone neutral tile backsplash, and the twin green pendant lights, which are vintage and slightly "industrial".  They give this budget kitchen some of its distinctive character.

snapshot.jpg

In the video, the glass tile backsplash glistens:

snapshot.jpg

This project was like a tutorial in transforming a small space.  There was so much more to the work and decision-making process of this makeover, that you can only get from the video.  It also gives much more expansive views of the room.  You can check it out by googling:

We Built an Open Plan Kitchen With a Low Budget  Sarah 101 Abode - Youtube

snapshot.jpg

The homeowners were thrilled.  Talented Sarah's seemingly still "got it", whether the project is large or small. 

Honored Contributor

Re: SARAH RICHARDSON DESIGNS TINY KITCHEN ON A BUDGET

Sarah's one of my favorite designers. She never makes something unlivable just for show.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I love Sarah Richardson, and she and Tommy did a great job with this kitchen.  I wish she had a show on HGTV (or some station) right now.  I would have chosen a color other than green, but I do love everything else.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Wow! What a great job!! That looks like a totally different kitchen for sure!

Respected Contributor

I've always loved Sarah's work, and this is no exception; it's amazing what was done here.  @Oznell Thanks for posting!

Contributor

I like Sarah's designs but I am surprised she didn't use blue!

She uses a lot of IKEA for a reason. We recently redid our kitchen using IKEA cabinet boxes and interiors with custom fronts. But it took a while to get the correct boxes due to supply chain.
I am beyond thrilled with the look and the much improved storage even using the same footprint as the original kitchen.  

Honored Contributor

Love it.  Lime green is my go-to kitchen accent color.  Many go for red, but I'm just not a red fan (replaced all the red knobs on my Wolf appliances, in fact).  I love lime green in a kitchen.

Honored Contributor

I've always enjoyed Sarah's shows and would love to see a new 'Sarah's House'... Even when I haven't cared for her choices, I always enjoy her process. To me, this isn't among my favorites of Sarah's finished products, but, as always, she's done a commendable job.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Great improvement! I'm surprised I like the lime green. Still, not sure I would choose that color for my kitchen, but it looks nice here. 

Honored Contributor

I wish Sarah would come work her magic on my kitchen.  It's not so small, just poorly designed.  Too many exits, closets, pantry, bay window which make re-doing very difficult. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment