Honored Contributor

I don't like the way they decorated around their TV.

IMO all the scattered artwork is a distraction if you're watching TV. I also think hanging the art around the TV doesn't really give the artwork its own focus. I'm not sure lights that close to the TV would work either. Wouldn't that cause glare? 

We don't have any artwork or lights directly behind, around, or next to our TV. 

What do you think? Do you decorate around your TV? 

530E863F-C507-4C73-B10A-ECD418295944.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Decorating Around Your TV?

[ Edited ]

and a reflection from a window....what a mess!!  jmo.....

Respected Contributor

I don't care for it at all. I like clean area surrounding the TV so it doesn't distract when you are watching something.

Honored Contributor

The less attention drawn to the TV the better.  Surrounding it with anything just emphasizes the big black blank space.  The very worst is a TV over the fireplace, which will ruin the appearance of a pretty fireplace. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Our tv is the decoration above the mantle in the den.  

Trusted Contributor

I don't like it It's way too busy and distracting, as you said, when watching TV.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh my goodness......NO!

Honored Contributor

I like lots of stuff hanging on the walls all over my apartment - in every room (inc. the bathroom).  I've mentioned before, I'm a "maximumalist."

In the livng room ... beside and above/behind the TV

Three rather large frames/matted molas.  Framed and matted in black - TV is black, the bookcase / TV stand / VCR shelf combo is also black.

I also have my guitar hanging on the wall off to the side of the TV.

The shapes of the images on the molas coordinate with the shape of the guitar.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a small living room but I do have an entertainment center with a spot for my TV.  It's on a stand similar to the one shown in the picture and I do keep  4 or 5 very small knick knacks on that shelf that the TV sits on.  On top of the entertainment center I keep the DVD player (which I never use), a plant and some family pictures.  I have one picture to the left of the entertainment center and one shelf to the right.  

I don't like the way this artwork is displayed whether there is a TV there or not.  It looks cluttered and chaotic to me.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that it is way too busy....too much stuff going on!!

We have a small shelf with a few small items on each shelf on either side of the TV. There is a simple metal sculpture of a leafless tree centered above the 60" TV.  The TV is larger than the sculpture and all items are well balanced.

ETA....Even if the TV wasn't there it is still a big mess....nothing is balanced or really goes together well on that wall!