Respected Contributor

Re: Decorating Around Your TV?

I agree with @haddon9. It would look bad even without the TV. If they only had the four pics right above the TV, it might be okay because there would be a little balance. 

Photos and pics should be, at least, at eye level. What the heck is the large photo on the left doing, more than halfway down the wall?  Someone was into the wine, on picture hanging day.

Honored Contributor

@wilma In a word:  Ugly

Honored Contributor

I don't care for the clutter on the wall around the TV however I really don't like the reflection of the window 🪟 on the TV screen 📺.

Honored Contributor

@wilma,  I'd love to have one of those Samsung (I think they're Samsung?) TVs that is "art" on your wall when it isn't being a TV...

Failing that, we are so fuddy-duddy  'traditional', that we have the tiniest flat screen tv in the world-- therefore we can have it in a small armoire-like cabinet with doors that you can close.  How Nineties of us!  But I like being able to shut it away, hide infernal cords and stacks of DVD's-- so it's still a good solution, in my opinion.

And I can have a few pieces of art around it, which if I do say so myself, look good.  The designer Laurel Bern showed a similar set up to ours, where the armoire is tucked in a corner.  Presumably the TV is on a swivel:

Barbara-Westbrook-Atlanta-Bungalow-via-Garden-and-Gun-Armoire-for-the-TV-painting-over-fireplace.jpg

This works for us, so we can have our TV, plus art.

Honored Contributor

I'm not really seeing anything particularly appealing about this space. Perhaps they're trying to distract from the TV, who kmows. I do have a large print over my television and a small lamp on the same table. Neither interferes with my ability to focus upon the TV on those rare occasions there's something on television worth focusing upon. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I agree with most that this is a tad too much. But we have things around our TV. There is only one full wall in our family room, so that's where it is. To the left is a window. Above is a wooden replica of the Betsy Ross flag. To the right is DH's grandad's trumpet from WW I, next to another small flag that was a gift. Below that is a barnwood painting. So we definitely have things around ours, but it's easy to ignore them when the TV is on!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

This is way too much for me. I would  take away the lamps on the sides of the TV and the art (8 pieces that we can see).

The room would be cute without all the distraction.

Honored Contributor

If you are the kind of person who wants their TV front and center, I like the idea of decorating around it.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I like lots of stuff hanging on the walls all over my apartment - in every room (inc. the bathroom).  I've mentioned before, I'm a "maximumalist."

In the livng room ... beside and above/behind the TV

Three rather large frames/matted molas.  Framed and matted in black - TV is black, the bookcase / TV stand / VCR shelf combo is also black.

I also have my guitar hanging on the wall off to the side of the TV.

The shapes of the images on the molas coordinate with the shape of the guitar.

@ALRATIBA, You would like my house!  It’s Early American, and nobody ever said it was sparse.

Esteemed Contributor

My DH likes all manner of gadgets, and enjoys large TVs, especially for watching sports.  He’s educated, reads, and loves a few sports.  So we have TVs....  And when the TV in the FR died a couple years back, it was replaced by an even bigger model.  Required a new wooden cabinet stand, and its in the corner of our FR next to the fireplace. 

At first I felt I was sitting in a theatre, but I have gotten used to it.