Respected Contributor

Re: Decorating Around Your TV?

@wilma 

With the exception of the photos surrounding the TV area, I like the room as a whole.  It's tastefully done & casual, light & cheery.  I like the furnishings as well. 

My DH has a "too large" piece of art of farm animals (he was raised on a dairy farm) behind his TV.  I've never liked it there but it's pretty much his room, along with his large black lab, Connie.  Thanks for sharing.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA

I'm with you - I'm a maxamumlist too.  I have a grouping or picture/decor on almost every wall in my house - also the bathrooms.  It is all very tastefully done and I have received many compiments on how my house is decorated.

I'm the same way with clothes and shoes, way too many, but I do purge often and now at this stage of my life,I am buying less and more carefully and working on downsizing somewhat but it will never be to a minimum!. 

Honored Contributor

I don't care for this area at all.I would have fewer pictures on the wall and the coffee table would go.  It needs a make over.

I have decor on my entertainment center above the TV.   I also have family pictures on the top of the piece.  For me it is not distracting but warm.  

Honored Contributor

@wilma : I get distracted very easy and prefer nothing near the tv. In 2016 had family room added on. I have two friends that have gifted me items for the tv area. When the room was finished and considering furniture and decorations I told them what I preferred- no painting or decorative items for gifts.They get upset when gifted items are put in other rooms. I have different taste and color choices and really try to discourage them from giving any paintings or decorative items they refused to listen. Last year gave them letter stated that I love the friendship but will stop all gift exchange during the year and let's do something different like eating out and short road trips.

Honored Contributor

I don't decorate arount (in my case over) the tv.  I have a tall pie safe with shelves and open doors with punched tin on one side, and a rock fireplace on the other side.  The tv is on a large chest.

Esteemed Contributor

I decorate around the TV - it's on a glass topped table with a just above floor level shelf below.  There are pictures and knick knacks and plants around.

I'd show you a nice photo but I see this site won't accept photos from my new iPhone because they are not in jpeg format.  Oh well!  Not worth converting from HEIC.  

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Beautiful Living Rooms With Built-In Shelving

@wilma 

I really don't mind the tv "set up" in your picture. I could live with that one. Actually, I think it is better than most I have seen. 

I know I have posted this picture before. Ideally this would be my choice but built-in's are so expensive. I think maybe we "shot ourselves in the foot" when they did away with entertainment centers?  We still have ours. Would I much rather have this built-in?  Oh, yeah!!!  I feel, however, it's a luxury I don't really need right now....especially with the high cost of  materials right now.    

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that the room is cute and looks comfy.  I  would not have the artwork and just leave the lamps by themselves.   In our townhouse we have a TV room with an okay sized flat screen on a low table as we have a large screen for a projector that hangs on the ceiling.  That screen goes up and down so I don't have anything on that wall.  We mostly use the projector for movies and sports.  It really is a nice set up, like being at the movie theater.

Respected Contributor

@wilma   ....I am not particulary fond of the large screen tv's ....they take up too much room and spoil the look anywhere they are placed  Lately I have been watching my cable tv that streams on my computer. I have both internet and tv with one cable operator.  I have a 18 inch laptop and I can take it with me to the breasfast table for the morning news and to the bedroom at night.  It works fine for me. And I can also get radio broadcasts on it.  I have a smaller TV in my family room for visitors who oome to watch TV. Usually this happens once in a blue moon.  I wonder how many are using their computers to stream their tv programs

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@wilma,  I'd love to have one of those Samsung (I think they're Samsung?) TVs that is "art" on your wall when it isn't being a TV...

Failing that, we are so fuddy-duddy  'traditional', that we have the tiniest flat screen tv in the world-- therefore we can have it in a small armoire-like cabinet with doors that you can close.  How Nineties of us!  But I like being able to shut it away, hide infernal cords and stacks of DVD's-- so it's still a good solution, in my opinion.

And I can have a few pieces of art around it, which if I do say so myself, look good.  The designer Laurel Bern showed a similar set up to ours, where the armoire is tucked in a corner.  Presumably the TV is on a swivel:

Barbara-Westbrook-Atlanta-Bungalow-via-Garden-and-Gun-Armoire-for-the-TV-painting-over-fireplace.jpg

This works for us, so we can have our TV, plus art.

@Oznell 

Our upstairs TV is also in an armoire with doors that close. Our bigger TV is in the finished basement on a narrow table.