Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter Now.........not later

When my father passed away, I cleaned out the cellar.  My father saved things just in case.  My mother wanted it moved out.  We sorted through it and kept what she might need and moved everything else along.  My mother has been in a purging mode over the past year.  She only wants what she will use.  We've been working on that.  When the time comes to empty the house, I'll call the salvation army or goodwill to come and take everything.  

Respected Contributor

I don't want to live with a bare minimum or give up things I love. It’s more about being selective about what I keep. I have found it’s so easy for stuff to accumulate because “I might use it some day.” Periodically I will empty a cupboard and reassess what’s in there. If something hasn’t seen the light of day in several seasons and has no emotional value, I’ll donate it. 

Honored Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I don't want to live with a bare minimum or give up things I love. It’s more about being selective about what I keep. I have found it’s so easy for stuff to accumulate because “I might use it some day.” Periodically I will empty a cupboard and reassess what’s in there. If something hasn’t seen the light of day in several seasons and has no emotional value, I’ll donate it. 

Timing is everything in purging, isn't it?

I recently started cleaning out my basement. I found a lot of metal bakeware that was in like new condition. I had used it extensively when my son was little. Special pans for shaped cookies especially, as I baked for school functions, bake sales, class parties etc. 

That part of my life is over, and back then, I needed three of the same pan to bake in the large quantities I needed to turn out for those functions. Today I don't. I decided to keep just one of each type of pan. And honestly that might be too much for the future.

What I needed/used/loved yesterday, isn't necessarily what I do today or what I will tomorrow. You are right @SunValley, Periodic reassessment is crucial as our lives change and move on.

Respected Contributor

I took care of clearing each of my grandparent's houses.  On one side, there were several children and grandchildren, so I had each one take what they wanted, then I had a yard sale for the rest with help from the other grandchildren.

On the other side, I was the only heir, so I used an estate sale company after removing the items I wanted to keep.  At that time, the estate sale company charged a minimum or 1/3 of proceeds whichever was greater and they left the house in sparkling, ready-for-sale condition.  

I don't worry about purging.  There will be the necessary funds to hire an estate sale company and there are instructions in my will about the distribution of assets.  Meanwhile, I enjoy living with my collections and hobbies.  I have no expectation that my heirs should keep any of my possessions.  

I know that my mother feels very differently about her possessions.  She wants to downsize to a low maintenance home of some sort, but really worries about not being able to take all of her beloved furnishings with her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio and @Marsha2003, Thanks to both of you for stating how I feel, as an oldster.  We are still living in our original family home.  Yes, there is much to weed out and get rid of, but I don't want my home to be stripped of so many things that are valuable to us and being us joy.

I would like to bring two points to the discussion.  We, like so many others, have some things that belonged to our children.  When they fly the nest, it is so often to a small place where there is no room.  Fast forward years, stuff still here.  We are going to clear out space, put their stuff out, and set a deadline.  Either come and look through or out it goes.  I saw a cute sweatshirt advertised:  "If we're empty-nesters, what's all their stuff doing in the basement?"  I am not blaming kids for the majority of stuff, but with many it is a factor.

Second, @Mominohio, you showed so much care and compassion for your mom.  People have to realize that most folks are very busy before retirement and think that after they retire they will clean out.  Well, life gets in the way.  Your energy level decreases as you age, and medical issues can profoundly affect your life.  It is always an option to offer oldsters assistance or try to provide clean out services if you live a good distance away.  Some may resist, but others need some help.  

No, we don"t want to leave a mess of junk for our kids.  But there are certain things we love and bring us happiness.  After

they have taken what they want, they can open us our place to other relatives - if you want it, it is yours.  Then have an estate sale or have stuff donated, with the remaining junked.  

We want to leave this earth still loved by our children.  I only hope it works out that way.

Honored Contributor

Please at least clean out your no-longer-needed paperwork, put all your important papers in labeled files, and think about getting rid of excess photos of people YOU don't know, or multiple copies of photos and classmates your kids wouldn't know. 

Anything that you can do to cut down on paperwork, identify and group legal papers, and get valuables in a central place would help more than you can imagine.  Cleaning out old makeup or cleaning supplies a little at a time, extra or broken yard equipment, etc.  All that can take days and weeks that most people don't have to spare when they are working. 

I spent many days chasing a title to a boat that was basically worthless, then for some reason had to sell it to myself and make a sales receipt to me to get a new title.  I  never figured out what actually happened, but I finally got the title to give it to a cousin!