Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2023: What have you purged today?

@Snicks1 - whoa that sounds like a lot.  I have a question thought - it's out of curiosity - how do they fill in a pool with dirt?  Doesn't the dirt end up settling and then you get a sink hole of sorts?  How do they stop that from happening?

Today I got caught up with my shredding and took a large bag out to the trash.  Now I can't say that the bag of shredding is in my way of packing up the china.....LOL

Honored Contributor

@JudyL, they mounded the dirt up a bit, but, by this Fall, or next Spring, I will let them know how much it has settled and they will bring more dirt. If it's not too low, I may have the last layer be rock. I don't need any more to mow. I have 5 lots. Good question.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just a small amount of odd items to donate so far....brand new in box holiday ornaments, earrings, nic naks, cheese cake recipe book, socks (lot's of never worn socks LOL) have those in a box of their own all matched up nice.  Several tops and jackets so far.  Put in my trunk already to go by Friday.  Hoping to "find" more things to make a big drop off.

Garbage....WHY oh WHY did I buy some of this JUNK LOL!  Anyone remember that thing that Lori G. would sell here on Q with a Chiropractor.  You lay on the bed or floor and it pushes down on your upper legs? supposed to help your lower back.  That crazy thing never worked for me and hurt my upper legs LOL!  The things I find while in the basement just amaze meWoman LOL

Tossed out some more sandal's I found that are in terrible shape.  Old used expired sun tan lotion from a few yrs ago.  Few more old jars and vases put in recycle bin.

Hope everyone is plugging on to toss or donate!

Respected Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

Was reorganizing my underwear and sock drawer over the weekend and put two pair of socks in the donate pile.  That was it.  Just two pair. LOL  Starting to feel like I want to tackle boxing up the china that I want to donate.  I have a few boxes and some bubble wrap.  That's a start, right? 

@JudyL - Yep, sometimes getting mentally prepared is as important as actually doing the work!

Respected Contributor

@Snicks1 - It sounds like you have been more than busy outside! The inside of the house can definitely wait. I, probably like many others, work on the inside more when it's cold outside and work outside when it's warmer. We do what we gotta do. 

Respected Contributor

Hubby tossed a pair of work jeans. He has many pairs of jeans so I was glad to see one old pair go.

Set aside to donate from my basement: 2 tents, a camping cot, a music stand, a backpack and 2 bags that were gifts from my work.

I'm getting a decent sized pile and I would normally donate it now, but there's an animal rescue group in town that usually has a garage sale fundraiser in August so I'm waiting to see if they are again this year. If so, I'll save the items for them. If not, I'll donate it elsewhere. 

Super Contributor

Hey all... it has been so long!

In the past months I have organized all my drawers and my bedroom closet.  My husband says it looked like I moved out, lol.

Welp, I found Temu and purchased a ton of tops, I just love them so they keep on coming in the mail so my closet is now full again. 

Next weekend we are having a community tag sale that always gets a lot of traffic. I will be putting out all the clothing and shoes from a spare bedroom closet, lots of trinkets  and I'm looking forward to putting out all the stuff we have down in the basement (several patio sets) gee, I have 4 christmas trees lol, three will come up and lots of little things that are in great condition that I will sell for cheap and donate if they don't sell.

What I have left is the cabinets under the sink in three baths and the laundry room.  

Then I guess it will be starting from square one again as it's been almost a years long journey and yes, those junk drawers in the kitchen probably need another tackle again

Good luck all!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL wrote:

Starting to feel like I want to tackle boxing up the china that I want to donate.  I have a few boxes and some bubble wrap.  That's a start, right? 

@JudyL 

Good luck with your china purge. Do you have a lot? My sisters have their own china and some pieces from my mother and grandmother. 

I have one set of good china (serves 12) with stemware, serving bowls, etc. I'm actually thinking about keeping it and using it daily, and getting rid of most of our casual dinnerware. We've only used our china on holidays, and I would like to use it more. 

I've done some purging of kitchen, dining, and tableware. We were gifted so much stuff when we got married that we could never use it all. We don't entertain that much anyway. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma - I have a full set for 12 of Royal Daulton Old Country Roses china plus serviing pieces, etc.  I have loved that pattern since I was a child.  When I was married, I needed 12 place settings as we were a family of 6 and each of the 4 kids (1 of mine, 3 of his) had boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse and then add in extended family for holidays and it was a lot.  Now that I've been divorced for years, I just don't need all of it.  Also when my mother passed away in the early 90's, she left her china to me to keep for my DD.  I still have it.  My mother's china is a completely different pattern which, unfortunately, is a pattern that I don't particularly like.  Would like to keep a full set of 4 of my china and combine with my mother's china that way in time my DD can have some of both.  The only time I use my china now is at the holidays and some years not even then so it just sits in the china hutch.  Asked at a consignment store near me if they would take it and they said no because no one buys china nor uses it anymore.  So I will wrap it up and donate it and hopefully it won't get broken and someone will want it.

Honored Contributor

Just got home from taking several things to consignment. 

For the first time in quite awhile, I do not have anything right now for Goodwill.  Very unusual for me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?