Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2022: What have you purged today?

Back from our beach trip last week and back to reality this week. Thinking I might be able to finish the "Great Shredding Project" soon. Feels good to have more organized files and more room for current paperwork. Really don't want to end up in this situation again where we have papers and taxes from 20 -25 years ago. 

Have a Great Week, Everyone! 

Respected Contributor

Hi all~

Feel like after 25 years of living here, my home, along with needed updates...is in "turnover mode."

I've gotten my money's worth out of lots of things that have been around forever but need replacing now. Little things here and there...so here's the past week..

Got rid of a 20 y.o. hamper...replaced by a nice new one I found at HomeGoods and love. A little bigger, but so much better shaped to fit the space in my hall closet where it lives than the other one did (oval woven basket), so that it takes up no more space just utilizes it better. Other one was broken in places and patched together...in the trash it went.

Also found two new outdoor wicker porch chairs to replace one I've had for over a decade that I loved and lasted well, but in the past year finally had started to crack and crumble from weather wear. That got tossed, the two new will replace it, after our condos get painted...they are supposed to start end of this week.

Also threw out a white fitted sheet from a set I've had a while, but haven't used lately...went to change the bed and realized the elastic was gone in it. Tossed just the fitted sheet, because I have another white set I can use the rest of the sheets to this set with. Didn't want to give them up because they are so silky soft, nicer than my other white set, and I can used them with it.

Still haven't found out where to consign the remaining items from last week that the other shop didn't take...I may have to succumb and just go back to my usual place. After seeing how well the other one was run, and the accountablility, I'd prefer to use more shops like that. We'll see...but I want to pass these items on asap! So far they are still in my car.

I think that's it for now. Have a nice week everyone~🌼

Super Contributor

Back into my cleaning jag.  Tossed 1 bag of trash from my closet, and 2 bags of clothes to Goodwill.  Opened my 1988 wedding dress, that I have moved 4 times....., to see how it fared.  No discoloration and just a few rips at the hem from people stepping on it that can be fixed.  My grown daughter does not want it, so I have contacted a shop that helps low income people with wedding gowns to see if they want it.  If they don't, I will find someone else to donate it to.  Hope to keep up the momentum.  If I could just get the willpower to go thru the pictures.  It brings up too many memories for me of good times that have gone, and other things that will never be the same.  I have to do it sometime, but when?

Honored Contributor

Ever since I moved in, I have had this really large framed Andrew Wyeth print that I haven't hung.  It's my favorite work of his, but it is really large and so heavy and I've just had it leaning against a wall in my office, trying to decide, and this afternoon I moved it to my car to take to Goodwill.   I just didn't want to hang anything that massive. I found a much smaller version of the print on either Ebay or Etsy, 11x14 and I might buy it, frame it and it will be a much better size. 

I also am taking my last non Apple Watch to consignment. They have sold all my other watches so they might as well sell this one. 

A few tiny things are in a bag to take to Goodwill.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I have such a mess.

When I retired, I went through my closets and drawers and donated 3 loads of "work" and dress clothes.

I just put away a tub of winter clothes. I found a Rubbermaid tub of work sweaters. Almost every one still has the tags on them. I am sure many were gifts from the Christmas before I retired.

I will never wear all the clothes that I kept. I rarely do anything that requires dressy clothes.  And I am so sad that I am donating all these beautiful sweaters with tags still on them. I bet most are going to be thrown out. The place where I donate always has it's dumpsters over flowing. They can only handle so much stuff.

I have looked into donating to the County homeless shelter. But everything has to be sealed in the original packaging. None of the sweaters are in sealed packaging. They just have tags.

I have to trim down what I am keeping. But I like the stuff I want to keep. They are well made and like all the items. Just don't seem to have the needed "killer" instinct right now.

Super Contributor

Still not feeling all that yippy, but I have been thinking on items that I have that I don't use.  During dinner the other night I said to DH, since the kids don't want my china (which mind you i've used maybe three times in 43 years of marriage),  I am going to start using it for every day dining.  Why not, right?  Better to use and have breakage than being thrown away not being wanted.

That's as far as my brain got, lol.  

Be well everyone!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

I have such a mess.

When I retired, I went through my closets and drawers and donated 3 loads of "work" and dress clothes.

I just put away a tub of winter clothes. I found a Rubbermaid tub of work sweaters. Almost every one still has the tags on them. I am sure many were gifts from the Christmas before I retired.

I will never wear all the clothes that I kept. I rarely do anything that requires dressy clothes.  And I am so sad that I am donating all these beautiful sweaters with tags still on them. I bet most are going to be thrown out. The place where I donate always has it's dumpsters over flowing. They can only handle so much stuff.

I have looked into donating to the County homeless shelter. But everything has to be sealed in the original packaging. None of the sweaters are in sealed packaging. They just have tags.

I have to trim down what I am keeping. But I like the stuff I want to keep. They are well made and like all the items. Just don't seem to have the needed "killer" instinct right now.

@drizzellla - some thoughts sending gently your way, keeping in mind that this is a decluttering thread.

I don't know how long ago you retired, but as you were putting away a tub of winter clothes, you "found" a tub of work sweaters.  I'm no expert and I have no tubs put away for me to stumble upon, but they were in a tub, for I don't know how long, and you don't seem to really have remembered the tub until you happened upon it.

Why don't you go through the tub and try every single sweater on.  Now, not next winter. See if any are keepers, where you would actually wear them next winter.  If so, great.  Some may be out of style now.  That might make the parting of them a little easier for you. Who knows.  I just am of the feeling that if I have tubs of things put away and I never access those tubs, then I don't need the things in the tubs.  But that's just how I operate.

In terms of donation, is there anywhere else other than the homeless shelter?  A local consignment store?  A local church that might be doing a rummage sale?  A battered woman's shelter where the sweaters might be used by women going into the workforce?  If you are on Facebook, a freecycle page?  I wouldn't like to see them in a dumpster either, but if you're not using them and can't find a home for them....

In any case, I wish you the best with them.  I just try not to let my possessions hold that much power over me. But again, that's just me and we are all different. 

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@drizzellla - some thoughts sending gently your way, keeping in mind that this is a decluttering thread.

I don't know how long ago you retired, but as you were putting away a tub of winter clothes, you "found" a tub of work sweaters.  I'm no expert and I have no tubs put away for me to stumble upon, but they were in a tub, for I don't know how long, and you don't seem to really have remembered the tub until you happened upon it.

Why don't you do through the tub and try every single sweater on.  Now, not next winter. See if any are keepers, where you would actually wear them next winter.  If so, great.  Some may be out of style now.  That might make the parting of them a little easier for you. Who knows.  I just am of the feeling that if I have tubs of things put away and I never access those tubs, then I don't need the things in the tubs.  But that's just how I operate.

In terms of donation, is there anywhere else other than the homeless shelter?  A local consignment store?  A local church that might be doing a rummage sale?  A battered woman's shelter where the sweaters might be used by women going into the workforce?  If you are on Facebook, a freecycle page?  I wouldn't like to see them in a dumpster either, but if you're not using them and can't find a home for them....

In any case, I wish you the best with them.  I just try not to let my possessions hold that much power over me. But again, that's just me and we are all different. 

@gidgetgh Thanks, You are right. 

I will go through "stuff" again tomorrow. I retired about 2 years ago. I did load up my car three times and donated my work clothes to a woman's shelter. They seemed to really like the clothing I was donating.  They were closed the last two times I drove to the store. It takes well over an hour to get there. So I haven't thought about driving there. I will give them another chance.

I only know of one consignment shop in the area. It is for children. Many of the items have well known labels. That is why I think the woman's shelter store were so happy to get them. 

Time to get tough and unload.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

Why don't you do through the tub and try every single sweater on.  Now, not next winter. See if any are keepers, where you would actually wear them next winter.  If so, great.  Some may be out of style now.  That might make the parting of them a little easier for you. Who knows.  I just am of the feeling that if I have tubs of things put away and I never access those tubs, then I don't need the things in the tubs.  But that's just how I operate.

@gidgetgh Thanks, You are right. 

I will go through "stuff" again tomorrow. I retired about 2 years ago. I did load up my car three times and donated my work clothes to a woman's shelter. They seemed to really like the clothing I was donating.  They were closed the last two times I drove to the store. It takes well over an hour to get there. So I haven't thought about driving there. I will give them another chance.

I only know of one consignment shop in the area. It is for children. Many of the items have well known labels. That is why I think the woman's shelter store were so happy to get them. 

Time to get tough and unload.

@drizzellla - you've done 3 car loads so far.  I think that is terrific.  Be proud of that. If you want to try the shelter again, maybe call them first so you won't have a wasted drive?  In any case, 3 car loads full is terrific. 

Respected Contributor

@FatCatinCT wrote:

Still not feeling all that yippy, but I have been thinking on items that I have that I don't use.  During dinner the other night I said to DH, since the kids don't want my china (which mind you i've used maybe three times in 43 years of marriage),  I am going to start using it for every day dining.  Why not, right?  Better to use and have breakage than being thrown away not being wanted.

That's as far as my brain got, lol.  

Be well everyone!

That might be "as far as your brain got" but that china thing, to me, is a BIG one! Good for you! Use it!! Enjoy it! Feel elegant at dinner with it! It was meant to be enjoyed! Glad you decided that one. "Whyyy not!" is right. @FatCatinCT ...sometimes the "little things" we do "are the big things." Smiley Happy

ps. I bet it's pretty...what is the pattern, btw?