Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2020: What have you purged today?

@DecorDiva wrote:

I've been putting away Christmas decorations, and there are some things I would like to donate, but none of the charities in my area take any Christmas things after Christmas.  I guess they will live in a box in my basement until next holiday season.  I did manage to put together a box of household items and decorations that I'm going to take to a veteran's charity this afternoon.  I'm really going to make an effort in 2020 to reduce in all categories.  

I know everywhere I've been, Goodwill, Volunteers of America, and Salvation Army thrift stores will take holiday items all year long. Maybe check those? 

@DecorDiva 

Honored Contributor

Well, one hour dedicated and 21 pieces of vintage Tupperware brought up, listed on Facebook Marketplace, and headed to the garage holding space till it sells. 

I will say that I'm not making any real headway, as I have bought Lock and Lock like crazy in the 4th quarter this year, as I totally redid the kitchen cabinets and added additional food storage in them in the basement.

But at least I'm not keeping something I wasn't going to use anymore. I hate to say it, but I'm over Tupperware. Back in the day, it was THE thing. Most of mine I picked up second hand for a dollar or less, used them for decades, but the Lock and Lock is, for the most part, much more functional, and seals better. The old Tupperware most likely has chemicals like BPA in them too, so it was time to move out things that aren't being used, and I don't see myself using again. Saved a few big pieces that I store extra pet food in, but let go a lot that has just been sitting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to the many pairs of earrings that I hadn't worn in years, just do not go out much any longer, I gave DD, I also unloaded a new string of lights I don't like, a few cookbooks, a Bethlehem lights sprig that I bought two of for Halloween, purple, that she loved, so gave one to her, and a few decorative items.  If she had driven here, I could have unloaded much more, lol, and even though she brought an empty suitcase, it was bulging when she left. 

I am counting on DD relieving me of a lot of what I have, when she has room, hopefully a house is in her future down the line.  She will never have to buy any decor for any season, or toys, if she has children, as I have saved her pristine items, she can keep or dispose of them.

I have an enormous Martha storage bag loaded with donations, and it has overflowed to other containers, still have to add more and hopefully get it out by Spring.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

This morning, on a whim, I put a....a.....I don't know what to call it. Not a music box because there is no box, but a porcelain birds figurine that you wind up and it plays music. 

I had given it to my mother in law for Christmas one year while I was dating my husband. When she passed away I brought it over to our house. My mother in law has been deceased for 15 years now and this morning when I saw it sitting on top of my lingerie chest in our bedroom it just did nothing for me. So into the Goodwill bag it went.  No regrets.  It's been sitting there since we moved into our house almost 15 years ago and never hit my purge radar, but today was the day. 

I also have spent some time in the last few days removing myself from email mailing lists. As the emails have been coming in from various stores and restaurants, I've been unsubscribing. 

@gidgetgh 

Reminds me of something I got rid of a year or so ago. 

My mother in law took very sick, very quickly back in the early 90's was rushed to the hospital and gone within just a couple of days. It was Christmas season, and no one brought anything to her room while she was there. I purchased a small little basket with a faux holiday greens arrangement in it for her side table. When she passed, it came back home with me. 

I kept it in the with the Christmas things for decades, and used it once in awhile as just a little remembrance of her. We got virtually nothing when she passed (she had virtually nothing, very poor) except a butter churn (glass jar kind) that they used to actually make their own butter in. I kept that displayed in the kitchen year round. 

One year unpacking holiday, I looked at that basket of greens (and it was very pretty) and decided it only made me sad every year when I saw it as I sorted through the holiday decor. The butter churn made me happy, as it was a part of her younger, healthy life, with promise ahead. The basket was nothing more than a reminder of her untimely death and suffering. 

Out it went. 

Moral of the story

For me, I want 'things' that belonged to people in my past. I love them, I use them, I find remembrance and comfort in them (some of them). 

What I don't need is EVERYTHING from their/my past. And I don't want things that make me sad from their past. I just have to choose the things that speak most (or happiest) to me. 

Isn't it amazing how long we hang on to some things, and all of a sudden, we realize they no longer have meaning, or we let go of the sad meaning they have been holding for us.

Happy New Year, my friend. 

@Mominohio 

That resonated with me.  When my husband first passed almost two years ago, I had to save everything--and I do mean everything of his.  As time went on, my lifestyle started to change and I started putting some things away and out of sight.  Then it got to the point where I realized a lot of things had to go because some were actually making me feel worse.

I have a few things from my parents and a lot less of my husband's than before.  I kept the things that for whatever reason make me smile, rather than those that bring the tears.

❤️

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Cleaned 2 shelves in entertainment unit......... Now I have one empty shelf!

Everything on those shelves were related to gift giving - wrapping paper, cards, bows, etc.

Stick-on bows in a shoebox.  They're so old they probably won't stick any more.  Also, some were are squished and out of shape. Out they went.

Cards:  When I send Christmas cards I save the extra ones from the box in case some year down the road I run low, I have some extras.  

Been saving "extras" for too many years.  Some now have yellowed.  Out they went.

Wrapping paper:  Save small pieces thinking someday I'll have some small packages to wrap.  Hardly use wrapping paper, seems like everything goes in gift bags.  Some paper was creased, yellowed, etc.  Out it went.

I'm so proud of myself today.  I have now 1 empty shelf  in the entertainment center and in my earlier post I had also got rid of about 25 clothing items  - I emptied one whole Rubbermaid container in the basement!!!   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I found an old Susan Graver faux leather jacket in the closet....it was a nice jacket and got many compliments when I wore it.  I guess I have not sorn it for a while because when I looked at it, the shoulders, where the hanger holds up the jacket....the fabric started to crack.  It's not even good enough for Good will, so in the trash it went.

I am always in a state of declutter, did the big purge years ago.  I do my best to keep things in check.  I love empty drawers.

Honored Contributor

I have a crewel embroidery piece that my mom crafted years ago...She gave it to my grandma, and grandma gave it to me.  It's all hand stitched, and in a large frame....but not my style at all.  My grandma wrote on the back that mom made it and that grandama gave it to me, when mom died.  It has been in a closet ever since.  Everytime I look at it it makes me sad that it's not out but...I don't want to display it....any ideas?

I did think of making a pillow and have the reverse side something more my style but there again, I don't have a lot of pillows sitting around either...it's a issue for me.

Honored Contributor

I just added 7 or 8 beaded stretch bracelets to the Goodwill bag. Consignment won't take them as they don't sell well. 

A few years ago, they were in style and I bought many of them and wore the heck of them. I got rid of many some months back and today most of the rest went. I only have 2 left. When I put them on today to try them, they did nothing for me. I haven't worn one in over a year now so out they go.  Funny how your tastes change. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

Just the big box that the WP Air Fryer Oven came in.  It's working great. 

I bought the 3 yr waranty so if anything goes wrong from here on out I'll just buy a box from UPS.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

I have a crewel embroidery piece that my mom crafted years ago...She gave it to my grandma, and grandma gave it to me.  It's all hand stitched, and in a large frame....but not my style at all.  My grandma wrote on the back that mom made it and that grandama gave it to me, when mom died.  It has been in a closet ever since.  Everytime I look at it it makes me sad that it's not out but...I don't want to display it....any ideas?

I did think of making a pillow and have the reverse side something more my style but there again, I don't have a lot of pillows sitting around either...it's a issue for me.

Maybe frame it and hang it in a guest bedroom or hallway?