Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

I apologize for sounding like sad Sally here. 

My husband has an end table next to his recliner. Table has a drawer and a low shelf.  That table is his domain. He has some books on the shelf, some magazines and the drawer is like his treasure trove. All sorts of things in there.   I stay away from that table as it's his domain.  The top of the table always looks great.   Occasionally I'll ask him to clear the shelf of unwanted things but the drawer?  Off limits. 

When he woke up from a nap this afternoon I asked him if he'd take a look at the shelf as it was getting messy. Shocking, but he immediately took everything off the shelf. He put all of the magazines in the recycle stack, probably 20. There were two sections of newspaper from who knows what day and he put that in recycling also. All that is left on the shelf are 4 books. 

Then, the ultimate shocker. He took the drawer out and set it on the floor and started going through every item and he trashed probably 95% of the items. Very little left. I couldn't believe it. I didn't even ask him to look through the drawer. I gave up on that a long time ago. Among other things, there was a Comcast channel lineup from 2010.  

I was really shocked that he jumped into action like that. Totally against his nature. He has some mild dementia and when he woke up from his nap, he was a little confused and when I asked him to look at the shelf, I don't think it occurred to him to say no.  I'm thrilled to have it cleaned up and the drawer cleaned out, but it also makes me sad because doing all that is really against his nature and....and.... well, I don't know what else to say.  

I'm going to try to not overthink it and just be appreciative that it's no longer cluttered. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Aw @gidgetgh next time you walk by him in his chair bend over and give him a smooch and tell him how nice his stand looks!

Honored Contributor

@alicedee wrote:

Aw @gidgetgh next time you walk by him in his chair bend over and give him a smooch and tell him how nice his stand looks!

@alicedee - I've thanked him and told him how good it looks about 4 times, LOL. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh You two sound like a sweet couple.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh -I understand what you're saying. Happy yet sad at the same time. I'm sorry that you have to go thru this. 

Esteemed Contributor

In addition to the aforementioned jewelry items I donated a Coach bag and a scarf.

They were thrilled with the donation and I am happy to have let some things go to a good cause.

Honored Contributor

I have made arrangements to get new flooring and new commode installed in the main bathroom in the days immediately following Christmas, so my efforts between now and then will focus there. It looks pretty organized but I'm sure I can find things to dispose of when I really look. Also will be taking another look at closet and drawers, both mine and hubbys, I know there will be things leaving the house from these areas. It's a busy time of year but, I would like to start the new year off with a bit more accomplished. I did toss a personal grooming item today as well as an old cologne and brought out a new one. I don't have any more cologne/perfumes stashed, so that is a bit of progress.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

I finally found a place to recycle clothes from my closets and DS/DDIL's.

Saturday morning a school several miles away is having a clothing drive fundraiser. I will donate clothes that are worn and not able to be resold by Goodwill. Clothes in good, wearable condition will go to Goodwill when I am in the area, probably Thanksgiving week. The PTA gets paid by the pound.

DS & DDIL cleaned out their closets and large laundry room when they got new BR furniture. They have at least a dozen large trash bags full of clothes waiting to leave the house and being stored in their dining room, which must go prior to their hosting Thanksgiving dinner. Too many bags to fit into their small sedans. I will take as many as I can fit in my medium SUV. I have 2 or 3 bags. While not many, I am anxious to get them out of the house.

I really hate to throw out clothing and add to a landfill. I always like to dispose of them in a responsible way.

I guess the last items that may be purged this year will be any Christmas decor that doesn't make the cut. While I still put up two trees, I am less interested in displaying much more than that in my small space.. 

Oh, and a couple of things living in the garage to post on FB Marketplace & apps for sale.

Honored Contributor

2 items pulled from way in back of the closet, a heated spa foot massager and a mid size room cool mist humidifier. Haven't used either in years, forget they are even there and can't see using them again anytime in the future, they are ready to leave the house.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Have a packed full shopping bag ready to go to Goodwill. The plan is to head that way tomorrow if we're up to it.