Honored Contributor

Re: Declutter 2019: What have you purged today?

@Snicks1 ...I love mercury glass, I bet you can work them into your Christmas decorating.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs, I originally bought them because I use mercury glass on my tree and they do go well with my tree. I need to just put them with the Christmas decor and bring them back out then. They just don't go with my "year-round" decor so much, lol.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:
@Mom2Dogs, I originally bought them because I use mercury glass on my tree and they do go well with my tree. I need to just put them with the Christmas decor and bring them back out then. They just don't go with my "year-round" decor so much, lol.

@Snicks1 

I don't do a ton of Mercury glass, but I did get on a bit of a silver MG streak for a minute a couple of years ago. This past Christmas, I decided I didn't have enough of it to really 'go' with it for an entire room/floor, so I got rid of all of it. My mom uses silver in her house and I love it, but it just wasn't working here. It was one of the easiest complete purges I've done. I guess I just was ready to have no silver in the house, and it made it easy! LOL

Esteemed Contributor

An outdoor pillow that I bought at Lowe's on end of season clearance went into the garage sale box today. I found a pair of pillows at Costco that went better with the decor on my deck.

Had to trash my beautiful set of wind chimes and two old outdoor pillows. Squirrels did a number on my outdoor furnishings over the winter! Everything was covered under a large furniture tarp. They chewed through two cushions and the faux rattan of a chair, the wind chimes, (strings and wooden top and clapper) a pillow and the rim of a terracotta pot! And here I thought I was protecting my investment of outdoor furnishings.

I immediately replaced the wind chimes (good ones are $$$!) and bought a plastic owl. Since placing the owl out on the deck on Monday I have not seen a single squirrel-hooray! I did see a dove cooing at the owl, though. Flirting with the big boy? Spring IS in the air, after all, LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

Took 3 bags to Goodwill today. Most of it was items from last years yard

sale that were still sitting around on a shelf in the garage. 

Glad to clean out a little bit. I put out my garden items and now my shelves

look pretty good, but there is still a little bit more out there to go through.

A little bit at a time still makes good progress.

Honored Contributor

This week I rehomed 4 Barbie doll outfits and a lucky brand necklace with earrings.  I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

I'm on a bit of a slow roll, packing up items once a week and carting off donations to rummage rooms. So far this year it's things like decor, and kitchen stuff.  It's restful to clear out crowded kitchen cupboards, especially ones that have duplicate items I don't use.

For some reason, hubby, who is not normally that much attached to possessions at all, loves to get kitchen gear, coffee making accessories, etc. and even things like colorful mugs!   Must tread delicately there, don't want to purge the few things that he really likes having around, but...  

Honored Contributor

Nothing today.  I  need to purge (to garbage) a lot of cosmetics.  Too much "stuff."  Cannot donate anything open, so to the garbage it goes.   I hope I have the will power to part with a lot of it.  Have a few more clothing items ready to donate.

Esteemed Contributor

One week until the community sale at the church. So ready to get it all out of the garage where it has been accumulating since September, post move.

My townhome development is having a sale later in May. Hopefully I will not have enough remaining items to participate.

I will be happy to start the summer light and essentially clutter-free. The culmination of a year's worth of focused purging (April '18- May '19). It's a job that will never be entirely done, as I like to redecorate and change up my clothing, but I have the habit now as well as the support of this thread to keep me on track.

Honored Contributor

I just rehomed a Patricia Nash crossbody bag that I never carried.  Glad to see that thing go.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise