Honored Contributor

Back in the last century Smiley Very Happy, folks spoke a lot about 'earth tones' and while those color choices are still popular, the decorating community seems now to speak more in terms of 'autumnal colors'... It's all the same, but those colors are often tweaked differently today than they were then. Does the obviously pleasant and comfortable room below seem a bit dated to you or does it work for today...?

b57bbf359bb4823785bae0d01e1e253f.jpg

3a75febee68bcb9d74fd3f1ea80148b6.jpg

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Yes, it seems dated, but the layout seems practical to me. The thing I dislike is the ceiling.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dated or Not...?

[ Edited ]

Some of it's the colors, some of it's the style (like the dining chairs, table..what I can see)...does seem dated to me.

And even if it wasn't, it's not a favorite color palatte for me. It's somewhat pretty, (for a moment) but it's so limiting. I much prefer light neutrals for big pieces, then change out details/colors seasonally. And being from CT, this just says "fall only" to me.

The the chairs and pillows are pretty/comfy looking, and I don't mind that tufted ottoman, but overall it's a big NO for me.

Honored Contributor

It does seem dated to me.  Part of the reason is the fact that the owner has strictly adhered to one particular style and not veered from it.  There are no interesting quirky pieces, nothing especially unpredictable, no color choices that dare to wander outside of a very strict palette.

It is not an unpleasant room; it's just very predictable.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb  I would have trouble dealing with the intense colors but the space is warm and inviting....very welcoming.

The table and chairs are not my style at all but I love them. Lovely! (Perhaps I am changing.) Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@stevieb 

I've seen this room before, and I still like it. I like the mix of warm colors. I also like most of the furnishings and accessories. Looks very real & livable to me. 

Yes, it's probably dated by today's style preferences, but that doesn't bother me. I would never change my home just to keep up with trends. I stick with what I like. I change wall colors and window treatments occasionally, but changing out furnishings and appliances every time a new home trend comes along would be quite expensive.

I don't care for all the grey, white, and bland neutral colors that seem to be popular now. Just not my style. 

Esteemed Contributor

I see a few issues that date it. The lighting fixture above the table, and the kitchen cabinets. The autumnal color palette isn't the problem I think the color of the wall does not add enough contrast. So, it almost makes everything too yellow. 

Esteemed Contributor

One of these pics must have been taken in a mirror or something because everything is reversed i.e. the refrigerator, etc.

Dated?  yes somewhat.  I couldn't deal with the furniture colors.  Like the ceiling, but would pick a different color.  Too much of one color family.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dated or Not...?

[ Edited ]

Orange what appears to date it for myself.

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@stevieb 

I've seen this room before, and I still like it. I like the mix of warm colors. I also like most of the furnishings and accessories. Looks very real & livable to me. 

Yes, it's probably dated by today's style preferences, but that doesn't bother me. I would never change my home just to keep up with trends. I stick with what I like. I change wall colors and window treatments occasionally, but changing out furnishings and appliances every time a new home trend comes along would be quite expensive.

I don't care for all the grey, white, and bland neutral colors that seem to be popular now. Just not my style. 

@wilma ITA!! every newer home I go to they all have those colors and the farmhouse style furniture, plaques that have sayings on them.  Even the counter tops are all the same white/gray quartz.  I like to be eclectic and not be like everyone else.