Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Dark Kitchens: Cozy or Depressing?

Not a fan of dark kitchens.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm not one that likes the all white kitchens.  I think darker wood cabinets look richer.  If white cabinets aren't really good cabinets I think they can look really, really cheap.  But I don't want everything super dark either.  I hate that kitchen with the black cabinets and the bottom one is just too contemporary for me.  I'm so not a fan of contemporary decorating.    

I love everything about the first photo except the dark countertops.  If they had done the marble on the counters like they did on the island it would have been much better. 

We fairly recently got new countertops and we went with a granite called snowfall so it's light.  But our cabinets are a medium tone as will our floor be when we have it installed. 

I think a lot of it depends on the size of the kitchen and how much natural light you have coming in.  My kitchen is very large because it was supposed to be a separate formal dining room and kitchen but instead when my parents had it built, they just wanted one big room.  There is also a window above the sink and a sliding patio door so we can take darkness.  

Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

In my reply I'm going to include @Winkk's 'light and bright' photo as #4.

So, here is my 2¢ worth:

#1  I think it's ugly.

#2  I wouldn't want that much black in any space.

#3  The style is not nearly as modern, but this color scheme is like my kitchen. It works because the South wall is all windows, with another one on the East wall.  The room gets flooded with light.  (We couldn't use a quartz countertop because the mica in it 'flashed' in the sunlight.) 

#4  Sorry, winkk, but, IMHO (2¢ worth), it's the design du jour for kitchens, and I generally choose the path less taken. 

This is how I feel about that kitchen.  It's very been there, done that.  It's what everyone seems to have.   

Honored Contributor

I SO  dislike a dark kitchen. our apartment has NO windows and dark cabinets. it is not a nice place to cook in but we have no choice. i would Love a Light Filled Kitchen with lots of space!!   Smiley Happy

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

I have a dark kitchen and I love it

IMG_1462.JPG