Honored Contributor

Sometimes, after the lavish bounty of Christmas, I like to look at interiors that speak of a certain peacefulness.  This  condo in the Turtle Creek section of Dallas, to me has that, with its airiness, its creams, greens, and natural elements-- yet there's a spark of drama too.

Love everything about this small entry.  Starburst mirror and oversize Foo dogs have impact.  Yet the details like the rich, muted ( leather?) screen, and the tiny painting, the plants, and the casual rattan console, are grounding.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10386-e1661466627251.jpg

A moss green velvet couch, one of my perennial faves!  The condo residents are art lovers.  Love the antique chest on the left, and the gorgeous prints in the fabrics.  Wish I could show the other angles of this multi-faceted room, but the designer's (Josh Pickering) portfolio, wouldn't let me reproduce them for some reason.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10282-1-e1661468919516.jpg

The dreamy, pale tapestry sets a mood in the dining room which is so reminiscent of what you'd see in an old English country house.  The green painted sideboard, candle hurricanes, faux bois chairs, and lovely print on the back of the chairs, for me create a fairy-tale-in-the-forest feeling.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10223-1-e1661467851848.jpg

The silvery lavender paint in the dining room, a favorite color of the homeowners, is "Destiny" by Sherwin Williams.  Handsome, dimensional built-in for their china, has "beefier" than normal shelves, which to me gives more architectural interest.  Ditto the subtle double recessing in the ceiling--  little touches that you don't always find in a condo.  Josh Pickering is a master of detail.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10239.jpg

Such a cozy, yet cosmopoltan den.  Of course, as usual, I'd have to reduce the sheer amount of items in the shelves, just for 'visual tranquillity'.   I'd have more simple books, with just a few objects salted in for variety.    But I love the casual display of their art, over the shelves.  Great, glinting lamps and rug.   Moody color is "Garden Gate" by Sherwin Williams.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10314.jpg

In the bedroom, more of that outdoorsy, vine motif, this time in the folded coverlet at bottom of bed.  He mixes prints so deftly.  Even though there are patterns in this room, I find it restful.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10379.jpg

Detail of the woven, moss green curtains in bedroom.  Homeowners requested no "black out" lining, since they want the sun to stream through.   Pretty bench.

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10362-e1661467991958.jpg

Love this vignette from the condo, overlooking the park toward downtown Dallas.  The owner's mother had made the delicate, muted metal flowers, from old metal plates, petal by petal.  The owner did not have them on display, but Pickering found the perfect brown and white vase to set off their wistful beauty.  

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10329-e1661467951331.jpg

You won't be surprised to know that Josh Pickering is an acolyte of, and worked for, the "dean" of American decorators, the great Bunny Williams.  He often does extremely grand, luxurious houses, with soaring ceilings and endless amenities, like the house where he did this stunning dining room:

LX_Texas66_HOM_Pickering_10-scaled.jpg

But I enjoyed seeing what he could bring about in a smaller scale setting.

If interested, his portfolio with its wide, large pictures of the condo and other houses gives a much better look.  Just google Josh Pickering portfolio. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell Thank you so much for the beautiful pictures!  I have a couple of Bunny Williams books I love looking at.  And "back in the day" we sometimes ate at Mario's in Turtle Creek. 

One time having lunch in their sunroom, sitting next to big windows, a squirrel in a bush apparently saw the reflection and jumped wham into the window right by my face.  Scared the soup (literally! Woman Wink) out of my spoon and back into the cup.  

I sort of yelped and a waiter, who saw the whole thing, rushed over to make sure I and my dress were ok!  LOL!!!  Everyone had a good laugh.  

Maybe not the squirrel.

Esteemed Contributor

It is a charming condo. @Oznell  I can see they love art, but there is too much art behind the couch.  It reads stagnant to the eye. It needs movement.  

Honored Contributor

Other than the foyer (lose the lamps and the Foo dogs), I really like this one. Elegant and, at times, a bit overstated, but overall, a great looking traditional leaning home with many wonderful pieces and elements and a nice sense of color that isn't overblown. Those looking for a bolder use of color will probably not be satisfied, but I'm good with this one.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Really lovely!

I'm generally "clutsy" and most rooms are a bit too "delicate" for me - but I'm loving the den/library!

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10314.jpg

Honored Contributor

As usual, I'm in the minority.  Do like the view from the window!! and the built-in in the dining room but otherwise overdone, too much clutter.  I'm more a Frank Lloyd Wright type--less is more!

Honored Contributor

My favorite is the dining room, the elegance of the chandelier and drapes,  the furniture all appealing.  I always appreciate art work on the walls and the tapestry is lovely.  I am not a fan of everything about this condo but all in all, very creative and pretty.

Honored Contributor

Re: DOWNSIZED CONDO

[ Edited ]

I am pleased to see more traditional interiors, not particularly liking all of the styles, but it's traditional.  

I do like the Foo Dogs, have three colorful pairs myself, and the oriental vase.  For those who don't know, Japanese make the most vicious looking Foo Dogs.  Chinese much more pleasant, sometimes cute faces; although, we can still find a few nasty ones. The white ones in this picture look Chinese.  

Pickering_3525TurtleCreek_10386-e1661466627251.jpg

Still a lot of neutrals, though.  They would be too depressing for me after a colorful Christmas.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell ........I really love that "Garden Gate" paint color.

Beautiful photos, every one. Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, great squirrel story, @Sooner !   I have the impression that Turtle Creek is a fun neighborhood.

I don't think you are necessarily in the minority, @kaydee50 .   Like you, I also appreciate a somewhat lean, Frank Lloyd Wright sensibility, very much.  My problem is, I respond to too many styles, when they're well done!   Being mostly a traditionalist at heart, I can enjoy a somewhat layered, curated and collected style like in this condo, but not solely.  Am just too eclectic for a strict and "pure" traditional look, and lots of times I'd purge about 1/3 of the accessories in many houses I admire.... 

@Foxxee,  thanks for sharing that distinction between Chinese and Japanese Foo dogs--  I love learning stuff like that!