Honored Contributor

Re: DOES ANYONE HERE GET 64 LOADS OUT OF A 100 FL OZ BOTTLE OF LAUNDRY DETERGENT?

i get more because i never use a full cap of detergent.....i generally use half to 3/4. i use warm water to wash almost everything EXCEPT for whites. for whites i use hot water/sanitize.

i also make sure to buy when they are buy one get one free OR buy 1 get 2 free at most of the drugstores like cvs, rite aid, and walgreens.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: DOES ANYONE HERE GET 64 LOADS OUT OF A 100 FL OZ BOTTLE OF LAUNDRY DETERGENT?

It depends on the loads and how dirty they are etc. For instance my bras are a load by themselves because I wash them on delicate cold and I only use about 1/4 c of detergent, but our darks , which are mostly denims get washed in hot , are usually pretty dirty and I use about 1/2 c of detergent. Each is technically a load but one uses twice the detergent as the other.

Honored Contributor

As I read this I realize why there are signs all over the laundromat begging people not to use so much detergent. HOLY COW people - 1/4 to 1/2 cup is all that's needed in a regular washer. Less in a front loader. Why on earth would you use 1 cup of detergent?? Don't you read the directions on the bottle?

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 happy housewife said:

As I read this I realize why there are signs all over the laundromat begging people not to use so much detergent. HOLY COW people - 1/4 to 1/2 cup is all that's needed in a regular washer. Less in a front loader. Why on earth would you use 1 cup of detergent?? Don't you read the directions on the bottle?

Ummmm...excuse me? We are all adults here. Lectures/slaps on the wrist aren't necessary. Everyone does their laundry their own way.

Thanks for your input

Super Contributor

My SIL recently purchased a new washer/ combo for their home and he said that the new washers don't require as much detergent. He also said that most detergent sold now does not bubble as in the past due to the revised formula. My washer is over ten years old and I don't have clothes that are heavily soiled. I probably use too much detergent but I will try to use less......that would help save money.........
Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Susan Louise said:

Ummmm...excuse me? We are all adults here. Lectures/slaps on the wrist aren't necessary. Everyone does their laundry their own way.

Thanks for your input

Fine with me - you just go on rinsing your money down the drain. No skin off my teeth as the saying goes.

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Susan Louise said:

Thanks for your input Smile

Yes, but if one's own way leads to the person going through detergent twice as fast as expected and then questioning it, I think it's a valid point. Perhaps the person is using twice the recommended amount.

Honored Contributor

i dont really think that people are using measuring cup cup fulls, but rather CAP fulls. again, i dont even use an entire cap full.....just half to 3/4 at the most. i do have a HE washing machine.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Years ago I bought the washer balls from QVC that were meant to eliminate the need for laundry deterg. I got curious and looked them up on the internet and found that they were studied by a University and found to actually do nothing! They were worthless!! But the study team found out that most laundry loads washed clean with NO detergent. And on the heaviest soiled loads, they just put deterg on spots only. After that, I tossed the balls out and now for the last 10 yrs I only use 1/4 the recommended detergent in my laundry, putting it on spots only if needed. Colors stopped fading and whites are really dazzling especially if I throw in a little bleach every so often. Goodbye grey towels and underwear. (probably from too much deterg). So I measure each load and use 1/4 needed so I get 4 TIMES the number of loads!!!
Honored Contributor

On the cap of my Tide there are lines for a full load up to a heavily soiled load and the regular full load is 1/4 cup.

Someone else here earlier this week lost the measure from her detergent and when she did the math - divided the total oz by the # of loads - it came out to just under 1/4 cup.