Honored Contributor

DIFFERENT STYLES OF FALL DECORATING

[ Edited ]

Thought it might be fun to check in with a few very different youtubers, and see how they approach fall.  To me, each has uniquely fun ideas within their chosen look.

Christopher Hiedeman lives in a beautiful old house, and combines primitive and Victorian, among other influences.

Love the way he included one of his collection of vintage parasols in the vignette -- and it's earth-toned, for fall!

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.44.03 PM.png

The muted palette he chose for his fall garland, looks so good with those murky blue walls...

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.44.43 PM.png

It really helps that he has all these mellow, tawny antiques, to further the autumnal feeling.  He really doesn't need to add much for atmosphere, but the teal pumpkin, little log cabin, butterscotch candle, checkerboard and antique metal floral 'frogs',  enhance the mood!

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.40.10 PM.png

The squirrel, mantel leaves, and even the colors are perfect in this low-key little den of his... must enlarge to appreciate.  Or go to his youtube video!

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.57.30 PM.png

Lush.....

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 2.26.03 PM.png

For total contrast,  iStyleMystyle blogger Sheryl has a look that I would say is very glam, modern, with an occasional creative little coastal tweak, especially in the summer.  An example:

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 3.00.41 PM.png 

Her house has a strict palette of black and white, with green accents--  so what does she do for fall?  She continues with a rich, dusty black, with warm gold, and burgundy accents in foliage:

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.08.17 PM.png

Sheryl is an ardent do it yourselfer--  she thrifted the Pottery barn-type vase for a song, so that she could paint it in her signature black. I like the natural touch of artichokes, and even the picturesque little tilted wood candle top with brass ring add warmth to her modern tray...  it really is all in the details!

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.48.45 PM.png

Little touches, like the cream and wine flowers in a smoky black vase.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.12.54 PM.png

And her coffee bar benefits from burnished gold touches, like in the lamp and other accents.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.18.10 PM.png

She wanted simplicity for her dining table, and found a sumptuous velvet runner in her "fall" colors,  then added a linear gold tray and golden mercury glass votives....

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.51.44 PM.png

Hannah Naylor's style is soft organic modern, San Diego style--  she incorporates a lot of Restoration Hardware finds and dupes in her house.

Deep, deep florals in a rustic vase, pale terra cotta pillow, slightly chunky and cozy throw blanket are her subtle touches.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.50.33 PM.png

Love her coffee table with the fall-ish flowers.  She has her tall, swirled glass matchstick cloche right on the tray, for quick lighting of candles-- looks so chic.

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.26.20 PM.png

Her console table with rustic pots and cinnamon sticks in a glass box...

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 12.55.24 PM.png

I couldn't get the whole console in one shot!  So here's a smaller full picture...Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.37.51 PM.png.  She said she wanted to go in a completely different color direction this year--  with mauves, burgundies, plums.

Can you see those taper candles-- they're a divine pinky-taupe, look so good with her florals.Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.38.24 PM.png

Another tablescape of hers, in a little more usual fall look, but again with rustic pottery, those deep deep plummy florals, and tall cinnamon sticks in a cloche....  love. 

Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 1.35.36 PM.png

Edited to add a picture I forgot!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: DIFFERENT STYLES OF FALL DECORATING

Love all these looks. The one thing I noticed in the first grouping is how he hung a key board on the wall interesting. I think I'm stealing the last group of pic idea to put on my island in my kitchen. You always do such great posts and you write about it so well. Thank you. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell ...i so enjoy your posts and your descriptive writing style. Its like the most delicious cup of tea at the most perfect temperature. Thank you 🥰

Honored Contributor

LOVE all of the decorating styles!  Beautiful eye candy!

CH's garland on the mantal is exquisite with all of the elements he uses!

Sheryl has done black and white beautifully, so it doesn't come off "cold".

Many thanks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There's just something very special about fall decorating.  It just 'sets a wonderful, homey, cozy mood within'.   I love Christmas and the holiday decorating but the fall season, for me, is my favorite.   Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  The Christopher Hiedeman home is very much to our taste. Our colors are similar; and yes the old books and antiques in our house have that fall vibe. My DH really doesn't like me putting anything on the mantle to detract from the redware pottery and old books. I sneak in a few things now and again.

Honored Contributor

I looked Christopher up on youtube!  Very interesting!

Honored Contributor

Yes to the first one. No to the glam one.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @godi  and @LizzieInSRQ --  that is very sweet of you to say and much appreciated.

Some years, I'm not as much into the melting of summer into fall, but this year, for some reason, I keep getting caught up in images of all things fall....

Oh, that vintage-looking keyboard above the mantel immediately caught my eye too, @godi ....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I really love the first home....although the garland on the mantle is a bit faded-looking rather than muted-looking for my taste..love the subtle touches that evoke autumn without overwhelming the small rooms. Thank you for sharing. Love all the details.