Honored Contributor

Re: DECORATING CONCEPTS STRAIGHT FROM THE MOVIES

Very Interesting.

Honored Contributor

Loved that house from Christmas in Connecticut! Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Oh, isn't it a dream, @Spurt .   That giant stone fireplace, and that huge, dramatic paned window that tilts outward....  I bet a lot of people, over time, have lifted ideas from that fabulous set for their own houses!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, isn't it a dream, @Spurt .   That giant stone fireplace, and that huge, dramatic paned window that tilts outward....  I bet a lot of people, over time, have lifted ideas from that fabulous set for their own houses!

@Oznell 

It's just wonderful!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

I have always loved home decor especiall in old movies.  The grandeur , the charm , .stately, and the furniture.  Such quality.   I would sometimes pay more attention to the home decor than I would the movie.   I don't watch soap opera's . But I have 

looked at their sets for idea's as well.  

Thank you for sending this.  

@Oznell wrote:

Marina Coates, the designer who gives us the "Bewitched" house tour, also has a whole series of videos on using ideas from films in our own homes, at her site, "Mockingbird Lane".

She repeatedly pulls from actual, beloved movie sets as examples, like the "Parent Trap" house:

Or the fabulous country inn interior from "White Christmas":

Oh, my goodness, it is fun.  But so instructive too.  She has a degree in architecture, and is able to translate for us the best work in brilliantly visual films, and how it can work in real-life houses. 

I couldn't choose just one of these videos to link!  So here's one on the use of color.  She even shows how a scene she loves from "To Catch a Thief", the one where Cary Grant is walking into a French restaurant, is translated by her into design inspiration for a kitchen!  It's magic.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n34UmZTn3cA

And this one below reveals one of the movies' biggest secrets to designing interior sets that audiences love-- the bold use of 'scale'.  It's a total eye opener.  I love the detailed analysis she does of the living room in "Magnificent Obsession" :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1LGqsEvX_o

Honored Contributor

@stargazergal,  I totally forgot soap operas as a source, but you are right-- sometimes they had/have fabulous sets.  When most of them used to be based in New York, they had access to such a huge range of interesting design options, too.

Valued Contributor

Looking forward to watching the videos. I have always loved looking at the tv/movie sets. Particurlary if they are set in the Victoria era through the fifties. 

Thank you, @Oznell  Heart

Honored Contributor

Since you love movie/TV sets, @beautybee ,  when you finish these you might want to check out her site-- if you google either Marina Coates or Mockingbird Lane you will find it...