Trusted Contributor

Cordless Hand Held Vacuum - What Do you Recommend?

I purchased this Black & Decker from QVC about 4 years ago.  It lasted about 3 years.  Then it would not hold a charge.  I puchased the same one again and it has lasted about 1 year at the most.  I'm done with Black & Decker.  

What brand do you like that does not cost an arm and a leg?   The Black & Decker cost about $50.

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cordless Hand Held Vacuum - What Do you Recommend?

I have a stick Dyson...but the top comes off for use as a hand held.  I really like it. It's about 4 years old and still works like it did when new.  It's great for quick pick up, especially when the dog is messy when eating, I don't have to pull out the larger vacuum.

Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop ~ I have this exact Black and Decker, for 4 years, and it still works great.  Sorry you had lousy experience with them.  I also have a cordless Shark stick vac ($99) that is 3+ years old, which I love.  Lately, it starts and stops a few seconds later, but does stay on when started again.  It's probably the battery, and I don't know if it's worth replacing

Honored Contributor

Black + Decker sent me a warranty replacement two years ago and it's been great.  The model number is CHV1410L.  Another model, BDH2000L, is nearly identical but more powerful and heavier (5.0 lbs vs 2.6 lbs.).

I think the problem with B+D hand vacs in recent years was that they wouldn't hold a charge after a year or two.  That was certainly my problem.  They had a terrible reputation; B+D might have been forced to leave the market unless their product got a drastic overhaul.  And that's what seems to have happened.  These models recharge while standing up in the base instead of while hanging on the wall.  I wouldn't be surprised if they also redesigned the battery.  You'll see that these models have good reviews.

I have the CHV1410

CHV1410L.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@BunSnoop - I went through the process of in-depth comparison shopping for cordless handheld vacuums at the beginning of the year, and after reading hundreds of reviews and trying out four different models, I ultimately chose a Dirt Devil corded handheld vacuum. I got tired of units not holding a charge and saw many complaints about units only lasting a year or two. My new Dirt Devil has a long enough cord that it is still extremely convenient to use, so I haven't regretted my purchase at all. This may not be helpful if you are really set on a cordless model, but let me know if you're interested and I'll be happy to share the details of my vacuum so you can check it out. Happy hunting!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Shark ION is what I am using. It weighs only 1.4 lbs, runs 10 minutes per charge which takes about 2 hours to recharge. I can't get over the suction this thing has! I can vacuum an entire carpeted staircase, and some, before I have to empty the cup. Comes with two attachment tools. It's an awesome little vacuum. Top-rated, too.

Shark's website has a $40-off code for this which brings it down to $100 and I think you get free shipping with that also.

b12e6a15d933215003e1649d2c202915.jpg

@BunSnoop

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for the suggestions - very helpful!

Honored Contributor

I've gone through so many cordless hand vacuums!! I ended up gettig a corded and it's lasted forever! I'm not willing to throw my money away on something that will lose a charge and need to be thrown out in a few years. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I have an older model shark hand held vacuum.  I use it with the brush accessory, lots of suction.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Do any cordless vacuums have the option of an on switch that doesn’t need to be depressed constantly to use?  I have difficulty doing that with my hands/fingers.