Super Contributor

Has anyone used composite decking on patio or deck? If yes, how do you like it? Does it hold up good to weather? Stain? Mildew? Fade? We want to use it on covered patio, OR stain the concrete....don't know which yet. Still researching.....Thanks for any help.

Honored Contributor

We were considering this last year about this time. Our 20' x 20' deck (pressurized wood) was showing wear. Some of the planks were splitting and we were re-staining it every year. It wasn't a fancy deck by any means, with different levels, areas, gazebo, etc., just a raised platform. We priced composite at Lowe's and was going to be super expensive, somewhere around $10K (including tear out, regrading, materials, installation, and we were doing it a little bigger plus adding steps, railings, etc.). We decided to do a patio with Unilock blocks - a 24' x 24' floor with about a 6' half circle landing and 2 step porch. It looks beautiful and cost a lot less.

Esteemed Contributor

When it's hot, it's hot.

When it's wet, it's slick.

Maybe not all, but some.

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

In the winter, it gets colder than wood does in the north side of our house (sees no winter sun) and so there is freezing and ice. You cannot use regular salt on it, so you must have the right chemical to get down to the surface. Ours has a wood grained texture on it that helps when it is wet. Mildew does form on it, so we have to use a composite special cleaner that must be used carefully, according to directions, and that works well for our small area. We have to do this annually. It dents and scrapes easily so any tools such as shovels should not have metal contacts. Dragging anything over it as in appliances and furniture, will leave deep grooves if not careful. Ours is TimberTech, and fading has been minimal on the gray, in the sunny areas. None in the shade. Application of the screws must be done exactly flush. It has withstood seven years now, and looks almost as good as new.

Super Contributor
My front porch is stained concrete made to look like tile. I just pressure clean once a year. It is texturized so it is not slippery. Does not crack or mildew. Love it!
New Contributor

Two years ago we put in a new TimberTech deck and we absolutely love it! We live in Washington state and got extremely tired of having to pressure wash and sand and refinish the deck every year. We still have to pressure wash, but no more sanding and refinishing wood. The finish is beautiful - I haven't seen any color change yet. Would do it again in a minute!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Esteemed Contributor

Last spring I replaced just the floor boards of my deck with composite- the supports for my decks are above code to handle the extra weight. Composite boards are heavy!!! I have a great construction guy- he's hard to get ahold of sometimes but when it's a bigger job like this he makes himself available!! I really like it- it's clean, neat - no maintenance. It does show a marking where my umbrella stand is though- I'm sure it'll clean up fine and I'll get an outdoor rug to protect that area. The whole job- materials and labor- was around $1500, my deck is 24' x 12. Can't beat that!!

Honored Contributor
I have a covered concrete patio. It was alway my aim to paint a "rug" on it. I was going to do it in green with red and pink geraniums and with "fringe" on the ends. I put it off and now, due to knee replacement surgery, can no longer get on my knees to do it. So I just get an outside carpet.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We live on the water and have composite decking and stairs all around our house. We love it and would never get wood again. We spray it with Zep Mildew Spray from Home Depot a few times a year and the mildew is at a minimum with that application.

Super Contributor

Thanks ladies for the replys. Still on the fence about the composite decking or staining the concrete. Making a Lowe's run tomorrow to check things out.