Honored Contributor

@Mominohio.  I didn't want to detract from your lovely decorations thread but I noticed that you had some interesting antique clocks.  You have one with a face that resembles this old Seth Thomas that I have.  It was given to my great grandparents as a wedding gift; mom kept it up and running for years then sort of abandonded it and quit winding it weekly.  She complained there was nobody locally who was qualified to clean or repair it.  I doon't know what to do with it.  I have 2 nieces and 2 grandsons and nobody is interested in it.

Is yours an old Seth Thomas?

Anyone else have an interesting old clock?

20180318_225033.png

This is identical to my clock but is not my actual clock.  Mine is more faded and has some chips in the enamel on the dials.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

That's beautiful, @Kachina624!

I have a Seth Thomas mantle clock, wood case,art deco design, electric, given to my parents in 1938. It chimes on the hour and the half.

I have my mom's great Aunt's wind up mantle clock, don't know the maker. It clunks so loudly when it strikes the hour that my mom used to keep a slip of paper taped to the coil where the hammer came down.

I just leave it out without winding it.

I gave my third clock to my brother. An electric of imposing size that sounded Westminster chimes every quarter hour.

I remember laying in the crib and listening to the cacophony of these three sounding off, all together, 10pm...11pm...12midnight.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge.  My clock just bangs out the hour.  For years it was against the wall where my bed was located but I got used to it and didn't even hear it.  No melodious chimes.

Honored Contributor

Believe it or not I use to make custom clocks. I would buy the mechanisms then hand craft the rest. Sometimes I would use old clock faces or old clock housings and create some really unique designs with paint and notions. I gave most of them away as gifts.

One of the ones I made that I thought was one of my better ones had real gemstones I bought at a rock shop. The face was made of a thin slice of agate which I drilled a hole in to place the clock mechanism through. The gems were placed around the face to designate hour markers. I finished it off with highlights of gold foil paint.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  You are a multi-talented woman.  I've wonder why some of these old clocks like mine and couldn't be converted to being battery operated.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SilleeMee.  You are a multi-talented woman.  I've wonder why some of these old clocks like mine and couldn't be converted to being battery operated.

Absolutely @Kachina624. You'll need to measure the size of the stem...diameter as well as length...in order to convert it. You can find 'clock kits' either at a craft store or on-line somewhere. These kits come in a variety of styles, for example pendulum or just hands. The hands can be a separate purchase but many of them come with the clock kits.

Honored Contributor

Of course you will have to gut the original clock and remove the existing mechanism. If there is a glass cover over the face then that will have to removed to access the stem to disassemble it. It's not all that simple but if you can do it then you'll have a reborn treasure! @Kachina624

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  I wish you were closer; I'd hire you in a heartbeat.  It does have a one piece glass door.

Honored Contributor

I wish I could be there to coach you through it Woman Happy@Kachina624  That would be my pleasure.

Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see the original posting about older clocks.  But I'm so glad no relative left me any thing special or of value when they passed.  LOL 

I would hate to have to decide what to do with it. 

NO inheritance here!