Trusted Contributor

I got to work in my pantry and am throwing outdated boxes of cake mixes, baking chips and more!

I have filled up four garbage bags and am still working! I am taking out the old mixes and recycling all of the boxes. I have a bad habit of buying seasonal cake mixes and then I never make them! I just love the Christmas tree shaped chips but never eat them!

Anything out of date is in the garbage. I can see where I am wasting food money so I can change my buying habits.

I just love seasonal pumpkin baked goods and Aldi usually has a good selection. I am going to make the ones that are still good and freeze them.

It will be good to know that everything is clean and edible!

Honored Contributor

Remember to clip the Boxtops for Education from all the cake mixes you're discarding!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning the Pantry

[ Edited ]

@flickerbulb  You are an inspiration!  And you know those mixes are taking up valuable real estate in your pantry....I'm going through the same process.  I've decided that all cookbooks that I will never use (a couple of shelves at least) are being donated.  I will never eat Paleo or vegetarian (I'm vegan) and most of the ethnic books contain items in the recipes that I don't use (eggs, sugar, oil, dairy, etc).  Next, I'm tackling shoes (I'm Ms. centipede) and clothes.  So sister, we will have beautiful clean useful space!

Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr

The boxes are from Aldi or Trader Joe's and don't have the Boxtops for Education, but will clip any I see.

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Trust me, the shoes are next! I went on a particular brand spree for awhile but they have no support. Out they go!

I have a huge pile to sort through for donation! It will feel good to get rid of more excess!

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb  Yea!!!  I use a wonderful vets organization (they can be scheduled online) who come to the door and pick up all my indulgences and leave a tax return on the door knob....just doesn't get any better.  I don't even have to drive to drop off.  Thanks for the gentle reminder....we will feel several pounds lighter for sure!

Honored Contributor

Because we are snowbirds who live between Pa and Fl  I have to empty out and toss or donate everything I don't want to bring to Pa with me. Every spring - then the same here when we go back home in the fall.Nothing out of date in our pantry or fridge. I am careful all the time not to overbuy and have too much stuff I won't use up.Generally all I bring back & forth are spices and pasta.

Esteemed Contributor

After being sick for a year, I had to do the same thing!  I had not cooked from scratch for a year so I think everything but the pickles were expired.  My grocery bill this month has been terrific.  

I'm buying items you normally buy just when they expire, once every 2 yrs or so.  Even my brown sugar was expired!  It was fun but it was also frustrating!  It's nice to know everything is now fresh and usable!

Respected Contributor

I'm sitting here reading and giving people hearts instead of cleaning out MY cabinets!  Smiley Sad

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

@spent2much  Giving hearts helps us keep going.,,the giver and the givee.  This is part of the process of motivation.  You'll be at it in no time!HeartWoman Happy