Honored Contributor

And it feels SO good once it's done, doesn't it??  I'm in the middle of my closet.... big black bag and all.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Wow I just can't imagine loading up 4 full garbage bags of expired foods! I'm pretty mindful of dates of all things I bring into my home and if I even have one food item that expired, I get exasperated in myself for not using it sooner. Its like throwing money in the street. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

My pantry is a kitchen cupboard so I can't picture that much food being tossed out.  Now for a confession; I'll use expired mixes for our own personal use. Found some unopened pancake mix that I will use. I prefer to make pancakes from scratch, but I'm not going to waste that mix.

Trusted Contributor

@flickerbulb, Good for you!

Cleaning out the pantry (or anything for that matter) is not an easy thing to do. As you toss out each expired item you are scolding yourself for not using it & wasting money ... but many of us have been there & done that, whether it was food, clothes or shoes ...

Off to a fresh start & creating a new buying habit.

Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@ID2

It is now up to 5 bags! I admit I was slacking on the pantry maintenance!

My mother died and I had to empty her house and get it ready to sell all by myself. Then the hot water heater exploded and I had to complete remediation on the damage which took me several months.

I also work full time and was finishing a master's degree.

Guess I wasn't paying much attention to those pantry item dates!

My bad! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb  I am so sorry about the death of your mother.  I have experienced the midst of it too: working full time, graduate school, full time care taker.....so I know you are truly amazing to pick up that bag and start clearing out your life.  Much love, light, and respect.HeartHeartHeart

Honored Contributor

BTW, packaged foodstuff can last quite a bit beyond it's expiration date and still cook/bake well and doesn't lose whatever nutrients are in it....  please take that into consideration when evaluating what to throw away.

I had some bread mixes that I let expire almost a year, but I used them with new yeast packets and the bread came out beautifully.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

My late husband was the neat freak, always cleaning out closets, cabinets, drawers.

He's been gone 4-1/2 years now and I'm just now getting my mojo.   I try to do a small amount BY APPOINTMENT to keep me accountable.

Honored Contributor

I purge my pantries December & June every year.

I used to be a big on BOGO deals now I only buy what I really use. No real stock-up lately.

Next week I'll use up my chocolate chips, etc. because kids coming for a week & they love them.  Rest unopened baking stuff will go to food pantry.

I give excess (w/in date) to our food pantry.  Love to do purging like this - I like everything in order!

Now I'm working on eating everything out of freezer.  The French door bottom freezer makes everything harder to know what you have! At least in my case!

Good job @flickerbulb!!!

Trusted Contributor

@phoenixbrd

Thank you! It was overwhelming but had to get done. Unfortunately, some things had to get set aside.

Well, it is looking nice and neat and organized! I had things like sprinkles for cupcakes and other odd items that I tossed. They are probably still good, but I had them for awhile.