Honored Contributor

Cleaning Glass cooktop stoves

What do you use?  Some info out there says white vinagar and a soft cloth... or there are hundreds of products on the market.... I am getting a glass cooktop stove next week and never have had one... what should I clean the top with that will not streak or cloud up? 

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning Glass cooktop stoves

I use one of the clay based solid cleaners.  They come with a special sponge.  You wet the clay and make a sudsy consistency, then you squeeze the suds on the cook top when it's cool and lightly move in circles.  You can remove with a damp cloth or a dry cloth.  I've had my top for 11 years now and it looks almost new.  I cook 6 days a week.  Hope that helps. Enjoy your new cooktop

Honored Contributor

This. Says right on the label "Cooktops".

Bar Keepers Friend Cleanser & Polish with Mild Abrasives - Shop Cleaners at  H-E-B

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get one of these razor-blade scrapers for when you need to scrape off cooked on burnt food. Avoid cooking on a dirty stovetop to avoid that but sometimes spillage and boil-overs happen.

Stanley Glass Scraper: 1 1/2 in Blade Wd, Carbon Steel, 4 1/16 in Blade Lg, Single Edge Razor, Steel Model: 28-500

ETA- 

You can also use a pumice stone if you'd rather not use a razor blade. Pumice will not scratch glass cooktops.

Amazon.com: Pumie Scouring Stick (12) : Health & Household

Valued Contributor

Another vote for Barkeeper's Friend.  I use the liquid version and it's wonderful.  It is also great for tubs, sinks, toilets so it saves me space in the cupboard.  

Honored Contributor

a straight edge blade is a necessity and be very gentle

barkeepers friend

weiman products.....get the 3 piece set that includes the cleaner, a straight edge blade, and the scrubber.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

I used to have a glass cooktop (have a gas cooktop now) and after I cleaned it with some of the products here ( the razor/scraper is a must) I used to polish it with Pledge.  It always looked great.

Respected Contributor

I highly recommend Weiman Cooktop Cleaner.  It's sold all over the place.  It's a box containing the liquid cleanser, a scrubbie, and a razor-scraper tool.  Works like a charm.  My glasstop induction cooktop still looks brand new.  I also use this on the glass inserts in my oven and microwave.

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 Agree, that's an amazing product. 

Occasional Contributor

I second the use of clay based products. I've been using BioCleaner brand that QVC sells - bought when it was on special for supersized product. (Also find this to be excellent cleaner for stainless steel sink and appliances.)

For everyday cleaning, I use Weiman Stovetop Cleaner in a spray that I purchase in the grocery store.

And, yes, you will need a razor blade (in one of those holder thingys shown above) for burned on spills. No matter how careful you are, happens from time to time.

Enjoy your new stove!