Honored Contributor

Re: Carpet, hardwood, tile or other Which do you prefer?

I choose wide plank wood flooring... Heart  Never anything with grout... Smiley Tongue

Honored Contributor

I like hardwood except in the kitchen.  I had it in the kitchen once and drops of water from the sink did ruin some of the planks (I am not talking about a lot of water)  but the water got inbetween the planks.  I would rather have tile in the kitchen.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

We have tile in the bathrooms and laundry room; carpet in the bedrooms and hardwood in the rest of the house including kitchen.  Works well for us!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have hardwood everywhere in our home except the baths, the laundry room, kitchen & pantry where there is porcelain tile.

I love hardwood and am so happy we built with it.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Depending on where I live, my flooring choice would vary. 

If I lived in a warm beach area, it would be very different than the cold, snowy north. 

I live in Ohio, and we get sub zero periods, and heat index around 100 degrees and everything in between. So I like a mix of flooring in my house. 

I love real, high quality especially older wood floors. I had some growing up, and some in my first house. They are not practical for every room, especially those with water use like bathrooms and kitchens. I know lots of people who have them in those areas, but have regretted it. 

In my recent kitchen remodel we did a water proof laminate planks that look like wood, even have lots of texture, knots etc. I love the look and the indestructible feature. The dog we have has nails from the devil and really marked up the old wood floor in those areas. This laminate is showing not a single mark. The down side is it doesn't feel like wood to the bare feet (and I loved the feel of real wood under my bare feet) and it is much harder on the feet and knees that wood or carpet. It is very cold in the winter as well, really cold. 

I find carpeting to be rich and warm in places like living rooms and bedroom and family rooms. I don't find it gross in the least, because we don't wear shoes in the house, I vacuum daily, and I steam clean it at least once a year, many areas twice. 

If I had my first choice, good high quality wood floors are beautiful, but they require being very careful to not mark them up and damage them with kids and toys, and dogs, and moving furniture etc. You have to be fussy with them to keep them perfect looking. Refinishing them is a task that is way worse than replacing carpet, in my opinion, and a much bigger mess. 

For me, a house needs a mix of different flooring for different areas. I don't really like homes with every floor the exact same throughout, except some look great with all wood, just not the most practical for everyday life.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have carpet everywhere except kitchen & bathrooms where there is ceramic tile that looks like cobblestone but not bumpy.  I know most people today do not like carpet, but at our age (80) we just feel safer with carpeting,  I love hardwood but would want area rugs, etc.  At least with carpet there are no rugs to stumble on.

Honored Contributor

Hardwood with area rugs is my preference

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I had carpeting pretty much throughout of my old house. I now have all wood floors, tile in bathrooms. We must vacuum every day. I can only imagine how disgustingly dirty my carpeting was in my old house when I only vacuumed once or twice a week. Yuck. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I love tile and I have it throughout the house. 

Respected Contributor

I prefer hardwood.  The house we're living in now for almost 4 years is 3 levels.  The main level is hardwood flooring throughout except for the laundry/mud room and a bedroom with carpet and tile in bathroom.  The kitchen, family room, dining room, living room and powder room is hardwood.  The upper level where the bedrooms is carpet.  We did remodel all 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms with new tile and thought about putting in hardwood flooring but it would of cost over $30,000.  The basement is carpet but more of a "recrational" carpet if that makes sense.  If I had loads of money, I'd change the basement flooring and would of put hardwood where the bedrooms are.